REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kyle's Heading to Humboldt....

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Kyle's Heading to Humboldt....

Postby WanderingBlues » May 29th, 2013, 9:03 am

and want's a fly set up for his birthday...

Of course, he waits until a week before his birthday to lay it down on me. So, what would be a decent weight for the opportunities in the area? Unfortunately, I need a consensus by the afternoon.

Thanks in advance!
Curtis
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Kyle's Heading to Humboldt....

Postby DrCreek » May 29th, 2013, 9:12 am

What's the typical water around Humboldt? Creeks n streams or real rivers? Cant go wrong with a Sage SPL 0wt for everything... just sayin. :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby tenandtwo » May 29th, 2013, 9:53 am

I attended HSU from 98-2000. It was awesome up there. As long as Kyle likes lots of rain, disc golf, and hippy chicks he will have a blast. It is in the middle of the 6 rivers NF, these are real rivers and I have not kept up on regs but believe there are still chrome opportunities on some. To the east in the Trinity Alps there are plenty of trout streams and a bit farther east (4-5 hrs) is the Redding, Burney, Lassen area, some of my better fishing memories were from those trips east in summer. HSU is only a couple miles from the ocean/ bay as well.

My only regret was being a full time student and working two part time jobs and never having time or money to fish much.

Have fun Kyle!
tenandtwo

Postby Wildman » May 29th, 2013, 10:20 am

Buy him a 5wt. We'll make a 3wt as a surprise down the road.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby briansII » May 29th, 2013, 10:41 am

Eel, Mad, Trinity and Klamath. Yup. Somewhere between a 0 and 5wt should be about right. ;)

Depends on if the offspring is, or will be interested in steel. He could get by with a 6wt for steel, and still not be overgunned for trout. A 6 will be ok for warmwater, and marginal for beach stuff. A 7wt would be better for everything except trout. Buying a fleet of rods in 3-8wt would be the prudent thing to do. :bananadance:

briansII
PS congrats!
briansII

Postby BBH » May 29th, 2013, 11:08 am

Best of luck to Kyle! Hope he has a great time in college and has plenty of opportunities to get some fishing in!

and good luck to you Curtis! Life is going to be a little different around the house! When my son leaves for college in 2 years I will miss him a ton..Hes like my best friend!

Cheers!
BBH

Postby Papasequoia » May 29th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Sorry I can't help with a rod suggestion, but congrats to Kyle! (Make sure that he rents at least a three bedroom place and lives alone so we all have a place to stay up there) ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » May 29th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Orvis had a sale on the Clearwater rod/reel combo spooled with line and backing. Regularly $316.00, on sale for $250.00. Got another $10.00 from a coupon and free shipping (another $18.95 saved). Got him the 5 weight.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby tomsakai » May 29th, 2013, 3:33 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Orvis had a sale on the Clearwater rod/reel combo spooled with line and backing. Regularly $316.00, on sale for $250.00. Got another $10.00 from a coupon and free shipping (another $18.95 saved). Got him the 5 weight.

I liked Brian's idea; give him a full * so he's completely prepared!! :bananadance:
tomsakai

Postby lucfish » May 29th, 2013, 3:39 pm

tomsakai wrote:
WanderingBlues wrote:Orvis had a sale on the Clearwater rod/reel combo spooled with line and backing. Regularly $316.00, on sale for $250.00. Got another $10.00 from a coupon and free shipping (another $18.95 saved). Got him the 5 weight.

I liked Brian's idea; give him a full * so he's completely prepared!! :bananadance:

Ditto
lucfish

Postby WadeK » May 29th, 2013, 4:42 pm

"(Make sure that he rents at least a three bedroom place and lives alone so we all have a place to stay up there)" + "Buying a fleet of rods in 3-8wt would be the prudent thing to do." + Make sure his place is stocked with your usual grade of grub + let us know his addy so we can keep the quiver of rods from being neglected while he's at school = Happy us! Maybe you can visit occasionly too. ;)
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby Papasequoia » May 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm

I hope you got the orange backing on that 5 weight combo - that will make all the difference. ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » May 30th, 2013, 11:43 am

Papasequoia wrote:I hope you got the orange backing on that 5 weight combo - that will make all the difference. ;)

* thing is back ordered til July 1st.....
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby NorcalBob » May 30th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Well, since it's B/O I will offer my advice as you might want to change your mind. IMNSHO, a 5 WT up there is a waste of time. :FIRE:
You'd be restricted to stocker trout and cutties with a 5 WT. :Pop:
HSU is in the heart of big fishies country, like salmon & steelhead, not dinky trout. :booty:
Yes, dinky trout are also available up there, but why bother? Get him an 8 WT so he can actually catch something without breaking a rod! :doh:
PS: If I had only one rig (I shudder at that thought!) to take up with me to HSU, it would be an 8 WT!!!! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » May 30th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm......
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing