REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

so i need to start tying flies...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

so i need to start tying flies...

Postby anacrime » January 10th, 2009, 1:41 pm

more specifically, i need to start tying streamers. my streamers are getting torn up, broken off, or lost to jungle vines.

at the moment i've been throwing mostly weighted streamers. my sink tip doesn't get down fast enough. i've also been using a few unweighted ones and adding a couple split shots to the flouro.

i know i want to tie conehead rubber leg wooly buggers in olive and black (i'm thinking size 2-4) but i'm open to other big patterns. so far it seems black and olive colors are working the best.

so if any one has a minute or two, can you type me up a list of supplies i need to buy? also, if you have a website showing how to tie them that would be fantastic. i'd like to buy a book, and still may, but funds are tight at the moment. i'll probably be buying stuff from flyshop.co.nz, if that matters.

thanks guys!

shane
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: so i need to start tying flies...

Postby rayfound » January 10th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Steve Schalla's site has a good selection of recipes/instructions. Not too many streamers, but you can basically take a regular bugger and add the cone and legs I think.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flybox.htm
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby anacrime » January 10th, 2009, 1:53 pm

nice, thanks ray. i forgot about steve's site.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby RiverRat » January 10th, 2009, 2:10 pm

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

One of the best sites out there. Complete materials list and tying instructions for each pattern.

shane

cool name by the way
RiverRat

Postby anacrime » January 10th, 2009, 2:35 pm

what's the difference b/w saddle hackles and strung saddle hackles? the saddle hackles are super expensive. and flyshop.co.nz doesn't have a strung saddle hackle in black. can i dye this stuff via koolaid method?
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » January 10th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Charlie's flybox is great for step by steps on how to tie various flies. As far as flies, I'd tie som Circus Peanuts, Sex Dungeons, Meat Whistles, and Tungsten conehead buggers with and without rubber legs. I use tungsten cones on almost all of my larger streamers. They are about 3X the weight of the brass cones and they sink flies very quickly. The circus peanuts and sex dungeons are articulated flies--ie they have two hooks, with the stinger hook trailing the main hook by anywhere from an inch to 3 inches depending on fly size. The best how tos for tying circus peanuts and sex dungeons are on Kelly Galloup's dvds. If you don't have access to them, let me know--shoot me an address.

John Barr's Book is also a good one for getting you into larger flies and it has step by steps on his Meat Whistle fly. Here's one like I use and tie:

Clouser minnows, zonkers, and woolhead sculpins should also be in your boxes.

Large muddlers are another fly you may want to consider, and some floating mice like the foam/deer hair one I use called a Skater Rat for late at night................ ;)

Here's one in Pink--I also do them in natural brown and chartreuse:

"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sheriff Joe » January 10th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I think you're just mad because I took your best conehead bugger. I know you're a whiz, but check ebay. You could likely get a lot of cheap conehead buggers and then cannibalize the parts and retie to your own specs, and if shipping is prohinbitively expensive you can just pay for one lot this way.

Now stop asking about tying and go catch some more fish and post the * pics!
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby Eric » January 10th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Shane here is a link to Galloups web site. the link will take you to the order page for his streamers
http://www.slideinn.com/store/index.php ... 7b772bdba5
Good luck Eric
Eric

Postby midger » January 10th, 2009, 6:31 pm

There also is an article on Flyfisherman Mag about trigger flies. Here's a link to the Sex Dungeon along with picture.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/kgtrigger/index5.html
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby thtsarumr » January 10th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Try some #2-6 Bunny Leeches with or without eggs in black and olive. Ill post a pick in a bit. Also browns love big olive Matuka's say size #8 2xlong. Good luck buddy.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby KRoberts1 » January 12th, 2009, 8:50 am

Barr's slumpbuster is an easy tie and vey effective for dredging deep slots. I like Midger's thoughts on the meat whistle, circus peanut * sex dungeon, too. All very effective entree's on the menu. But, check with your locals and see what the Kiwi's are serving up for big fish meals. I'm sure they have some very good ethnic ties. On Blanton's site, check with "Louie the Fish". He just posted a report on there. Been on the North island for the past 2 month's. I'm sure he can give you some more ideas.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby briansII » January 12th, 2009, 10:53 am

Ditto on the rabbit strip/bunny leech style streamers. They are very easy to tie, and have a lot of motion in the water. They're also very durable.

This YouTube page has some other rabbit strip leeches, and one that shows the movement in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KakimPJUPNY

The slumpbuster is another easy tie.

I tie and use a lot of Conehead, Bow River Buggers. It's basically a tungsten conehead bugger, but has a spun deerhead, just behind the conehead. Brown and tan work best for me here, but I carry olive and black too. I use very little flash, unlike this one/traditional one, that has a lot of blue Flashabou in the tail.

Recipe:
Hook. Dai Riki 700(cheap, strong and very sharp), or equvalent.
Wapsi, large, tungsten cones in black, copper, or gold.
Natural, olive, brown or black, dyed coastal deerhair.
Wapsi, Wooly Bugger Chenille. Medium(preferred for #4 or smaller)or large. This has sparse flash.
Hareline Dubbing, 5-7" Strung Saddle Hackle.
Hareline Dubbing, X-Select Marabou.
Krystal Flash(2-3 strands in the tail)

Again, it's basically a conehead bugger, but tied with spun deerhair behind the cone. After sliding the conehead on the hook, I like to make 5-7 wraps of lead wire(.025 - .030) just behind the cone. I slide the wire wraps up tight to the cone, and secure it good with thread. This helps keep the cone from sliding back and mashing the whole fly when you get snagged......and you will get snagged, because the fly is heavy. For the tail, I like to strip the fibers off both sides of the quill, but I don't use the tip. The side fibers give the tail a lot of movement, but I don't think the tip adds anything, except some bulk. The spun head is very basic. One big clump usually does it, but sometimes I use 2 medium clumps. Trimming is pretty straightfoward. Traditional pattern is to trim evenly in a circle, but you can also trim it with a flatter, wider shape, to mimic a sculpin.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bowriver/

This page should give you some ideas on patterns. FWIW, the flies from this shop are high quality.

http://www.riverbum.com/Streamer-Flies/ ... 2a/page/1/

HTH
briansII
briansII

Postby anacrime » January 12th, 2009, 3:10 pm

so awesome, thanks guys. didn't get a chance to check all the links out yet but sounds like a good plan for today 8-)
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » January 15th, 2009, 11:36 am

Shane, I asked on another board where there are a number of Kiwis thinking some local input might be in order.

So far the two reponses are:

Daryl Human wrote:I haven't really fished streamers on NZ's rivers, so cant add much value!

I fished a large Woolly Bugger on the Hutt river recently, brought 4 fish out in about half many hours (thats not bad for the Hutt).

Pattern:
Hook #8 TMC long shank
Bead: Tatanium colored cone, 4.5mm
Body: Sparkle Crystal in a peppermint green
Hackle: Black
Tail: Black

&
Regan C. Kenyon Jr. wrote:Isn't the matuka a pattern that was created in NZ? Why not start there?

When you check out Steve Schalla's site make sure to check: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/matuku.htm
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing