REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What Does Fly Fishing Mean To You?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What Does Fly Fishing Mean To You?

Postby Wildman » July 28th, 2013, 9:15 am

Obviously we all love to fly fish and all that goes with the sport. What does fly fishing mean to you? Why is it so special and what makes it so? I've be curious to hear from others.

For me, fly fishing has represented a journey...one that seemed to be longer then I could have imagined. I didn't want to retire...I had a few more years left (I thought). The elephant sitting on my chest that evening in the fire station changed all that and I was forced into a period of limbo while I tried to figure out what I would do next. One thing I had was plenty of time on my hands.

The fly fishing learning curve and frustration levels for the first two years of fish-less effort was steep. Gradually, I met folks on the forum and started the real learning process. I am just now starting to feel like I can begin to read water and make the fly and cast it with a reasonable suspicion that I will catch a fish. That being said, I am frequently humbled by the fish when I forget the basics. I started fly fishing just before I had to retire from the FD using a Crystal River travel rod and reel. I didn't know what I didn't know. I flailed with that for a couple of years and started my fly rod collection in earnest.

The most important part of all this has been the people. Men and women who started off as strangers have allowed me into their lives....sharing their secret spots and more importantly, sharing the knowledge of the water, fly tying, rod building, casting and catching fish. I have met a whole new circle of friends and fishing partners that will last my lifetime. I could not have asked for a more diverse and wonderful group of people to spend time on the water with. Fly fishing is something I will do for the rest of my days.

What's your thoughts on what fly fishing means to you?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: What Does Fly Fishing Mean To You?

Postby fshflys » July 28th, 2013, 10:29 am

For me, I receivied my 1st fly rod on my 13th BDay, 1965. I loved fishing, just going to my local lake with a few pieces of bread to catch bluegils was a thrill. At first, I used salmon eggs, it taught me how to control the line. The late 60's early 70's were mostly spin fishing with fly fishing as an experiment, then I just put the spin equipment down focusing only on fly fishing. Late 70's I learned to tie & the satisfaction of catching fish with self tied flys really increased the desire in the sport.

Fly Fishing is a learning process, each day on the stream teaches you more. I can't help but think about Mas Okui, the Master of Hot Creek, a teacher himself. He is always willing to help/teach those around him. Keep that in mind when you are on the stream next time.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby bassman » July 28th, 2013, 10:30 am

It gives me a chance to kill as many trout as possible in a sporting manner for the pan. ;)

You write an eloquent reason for you enjoyment of fly fishing I can't begin to match. I started fly fishing as a very small boy with a big long Wonderod and it grew on me and ingrained itself so as always to be lurking there for the many years and paths I've taken. Up until my mid twenties fly fishing was the biggest percentage of my fishing but sometimes other things begin to hold your interest. Keeping this to fishing theme I'll only briefly mention motorcycles, both on road and racing as a lifelong interest and something that gave the wife and I many thousands of miles of cruising and camping pleasure over the years and still riding.

Somewhere along the way Musky became a big part of my fishing and occupied a large amount of time for many years, seldom with a flyrod tho. Then moving up north flyrods and trout again became a part of my life, tho only a part since walleyes and big pike became an active quest for me. Canoe trips into the Boundary Waters of MN were a great way to spend time with seclusion and great fishing. Brook trout in MN and WI streams still kept the flyrods in use, but not as much as they should have been. Many trips to MI for trout and salmon in streams in Upper Penisula were done with flyrods but under the rod spincast reels (Shakespeare 1810) by drifting yarn flies with rubber eggs. Many VERY large steelhead, cohos, kings, and lake trout came to shore during that time, just as steelhead and salmon in Lake Superior streams of MN produced salmonids, tho not of the size of MI fish.

I spent some time getting my Coast Guard license for 6 pack fishing on Great Lakes and spent a few years with a big boat out of Silver Bay MN taking charters. Fun but dealing with public can get old an aggravating at times so limited trips to only enough to use boat as a tax dodge for our own camping and fishing trips on it. For those who've been to Isle Royale and caught 20+# lakers regularly it's easy to miss that kind of fishing, even if it was done with heavy tackle and deep jigging.

With the mine shutting down in northern MN I went back to school and ended up in Minneapolis/St. Paul working for the MN/Dot and got into bass fishing heavily for fun and tournaments. This ended up with my putting flyrods away for over 20 years until I retired. Now, in retirement I want to come back to the fishing of my youth, tho it can never be the same of course. I have gotten into a back to the basicsa theme and have been accumulating bamboo rods and classic reels and am going to finish the time left with flyrods once again the primary pursuit. Having lung problems is limiting my ability to wade or walk very far but I am able to afford a float trip or two wherever we go on vacations now and that has been extremely pleasurable for me.

So there, life story in a not very well condensed version. :P
bassman

Postby WanderingBlues » July 28th, 2013, 10:45 am

In Plato's Apology, during the trial of Socrates, Socrates is to have said "the life which is unexamined is not worth living..."

Fly fishing, whether it be alone or with kindred spirits, gives me the chance to do that. If I'm lucky, I get to be at peace with myself for awhile.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » July 28th, 2013, 1:34 pm

So many things any one of us could say, and most of them would probably somehow bear some significance for each one of us.

Through my eyes, fly fishing will always be about "maintaining a connection" with my father.

I flyfish simply because he did. And I flyfish certain Sierra waters by design - mostly because we walked along and thru those same streams together dozens of times when I was little. And I don't necessarily throw flies when I visit those places solo. Sometimes I just walk around and go back forty years - the smells, the sounds, and the memories - especially when I stop long enough to sit on a rock, close my eyes and clear my thoughts. Maybe that's why I feel so good about sharing Sierra water with close friends (you know who you are). Sharing water makes me feel like what I believe my dad must've felt with me - like he was sharing kept secrets. And not just the water, but the knowledge that is gleaned from one another - and not necessarily all of it is verbal. Sometimes you can gain a lot of knowledge just by observing.

And that's pretty much how I learned to do things when I was small - because my dad willingly shared his world with me. I hope that when we're in the water together, maybe you guys that fish with me regularly can sort of "feel" my dad through me. He was a great man and an excellent fly fisherman. I always respected his streamside attitude and his beliefs regarding conservation.
And maybe if, when I'm at my end and I look back at my journey, I will see that hopefully I was lucky enough to be half the man my dad was. And if that's the case, I would be content and completely satisfied with that.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby gabe » July 28th, 2013, 9:44 pm

at first it was a challenge, and now... it's an escape.
gabe

Postby midger » July 29th, 2013, 5:08 pm

It's my cathedral, chapel, or place to get away and truly experience life and escape some of life's unpleasantness. I've never heard of anybody on their deathbed wishing they'd worked more, but I imagine there are a few who wished they'd lived more. Flyfishing is living more for me.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » July 29th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I fly fish because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckdog

Postby lucfish » July 30th, 2013, 8:16 am

When I was younger before flyfishing watching someone who could cast looked like an art form. Not being artistic I always wanted to do it. When that happened in the mid eighties I realized then what my off time would be devoted to. Pretty much what Gabe said sums it all, the only difference is back then I liked to fish alone to be happy and more and more now I enjoy other peoples company when I fish. Life is good. :FISHING:
lucfish

Postby Barrie Mann » July 30th, 2013, 11:31 am

I fly fish for several different reasons, many of which have been expressed in the posts above. But I believe that a primary reason is the sense of peace I get when I am wading a stream or fishing a flat and the only company I have is the sound of the water tumbling by, the rustle in the weeds and bushes made by small creatures that have been disturbed by my invasion of their habitat. Or the sight of Bottle Nose Dolphins fishing so as to survive while I invade their territory fishing for fun. Also the nose of the gentle sea cow the Manatee sticking its head out to look at me as it swims past on its way to prime sea grass sites. All of these things plus many more are reasons for me to seek fish with a fly rod. In addition I've been blessed by making many friends over the years. Having the pleasure to interact, tell and listen to fish stories, sharing a meal and a beverage with some of the finest men and woman I've been allowed to meet and call my friend. One such event comes to mind on the upper reaches of Bishop creek sharing a meal and a beer with my good friend the “Doctor” I learned so much from him and will always treasure the memories I have fishing with him, learning much and not be able to give much back. But that's life, and fly fishing is a part of mine and has been for longer than I care to remember. But then new experiences and learning are just around the corner. That's why I fly fish.
Barrie Mann

Postby RiverRat » July 30th, 2013, 2:44 pm

It's evolved into time with God. It's impossible for me not see him and understand that's where the peace from being on a stream or river comes from.

The Bible is full of scriptures about nature. A coupe favorites.

Romans 1:20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

Psalms 8:3-8
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you set in place
what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor. You gave them charge of everything you made, putting all things under their authority—the flocks and the herds and all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea, and everything that swims the ocean currents. O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!

shane
RiverRat

Postby charlie » July 31st, 2013, 10:09 am

I flyfish because of it's paradoxical nature. I love the art of flycasting and its free flowing form. To achieve this, I practice the mechanics and study the physics of the cast. I fly fish because it is a challenge and a way to focus and elevate your awareness. Flyfishing reduces my blood pressure and relieves the stress of every day work competitiveness. While creating memories, It lets me forget. Fly fishing has gained me many good friends and spawned some of the best conversations with the loudest and longest laughter . It lets me be alone in tranquility and silence. Though it can be dauntingly technical and complex, simply, it's the best of all.
charlie

Return to General Fly Fishing