REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Canyon Lake poachers

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Canyon Lake poachers

Postby flyster » August 30th, 2013, 6:17 pm

" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Re: Canyon Lake poachers

Postby flybob » August 30th, 2013, 7:05 pm

JUSTICE SERVED!

It is just too bad that this did not make the evening news, to really drive home the message!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby ManoTheSkip » August 30th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Kudos to the warden! They have a hard job, and not enough resources. Sometimes, I wish I was a warden to get people fishing without a license. (It would open up room for my backcast!)
Tight Lines!

Hurry Hard!
ManoTheSkip

Postby Sasha » August 30th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Sweet!
Sasha

Postby Fishfreak911 » August 31st, 2013, 12:36 am

Wild justice Baby! New episodes now airing Friday nights at 10pm on NatGeoWild. Seriously....Just watched it. :mrgreen:
That is too cool. Luc would be * to know they were taking his beloved bass. They got what they deserved.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby fflutterffly » August 31st, 2013, 5:23 am

At Kenny Hahn on Wednesday and Sol Z, VOLENTEER DFG, was checking out the park!!!! It was great to see him. If anyone is interested there is a DFG program and you could be doing a great service.

Personally, I think the sentencing was way to easy for these four guys. I'm thinking more like $2,000 dollars, lose all DFG privileges and make it a very public issue. In my perfect world that would have been the solution. $410.00 only stings... I want it to burn.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby DrCreek » August 31st, 2013, 6:41 am

Great news !! My only problem is, I always think most sentences are way too light. Sorry. I guess I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to appropriate justice. I don't believe in giving any idiot the ability to plea bargain, cop-out in return for a reduced sentence, or giving judges the ability to downgrade jail or prison time. If the law says 1 year and 5000 bucks, that's the sentence I'd expect to be handed down and served. I guess if I were a bad guy, I might feel differently about that.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby tenandtwo » August 31st, 2013, 9:09 am

"The four men, Antonio Palacios, 32 and Sandoval Palacios, 24, both of Los Angeles, Santos Sandoval, 40, of Torrance and Najera Sandoval, 25, of Compton all pled guilty to one misdemeanor Fish and Game Code violation of unlawful possession. They were each ordered to serve 30 days in Riverside County Sheriff’s Office alternative sentencing hard labor program and three years of probation. They were also ordered to pay fines totaling $410 and they cannot obtain a fishing license or fish.

In July 2013, all were originally charged with fishing without a license, possession of illegal fishing gear, over limit of sunfish, over limit of bass and possession of short fish."

I think I am siding with fflutterffly and the good Dr on this. 30 days "hard" labor? What is that picking up trash on the freeway? and fined what works out to be a little over $100 each. The thing that fires me up is they can't get a fishing license now, ha like that was a problem for them before? BTW fine for fishing w/out license starts at $100 they got off easy at least on the fines. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nov2010_jcbail.pdf. (pg 122)
tenandtwo

Postby RichardCullip » August 31st, 2013, 11:43 am

Glad they were caught but they got off way too easy.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DrCreek » August 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

I'm surprised more conservationist flyfishermen haven't commented on this subject.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby lucfish » August 31st, 2013, 4:50 pm

Living in the community I personally think the sentence was on the light side but not surprised. 500.00 each would have been fair but the judge thinks differently than I do, bet he's not a fisherman. I'm just grateful/glad that they were caught and got some punishment. Hopefully they will think twice before they try and poach again and if they do and get caught again I'm sure the penalty will be much worse (for them) I know there are a whole slew of bass guys on the lookout for poachers since this story first brokeout.
lucfish

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 31st, 2013, 7:25 pm

Glad they were caught. Definitely should have gotten a stiffer punishment.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby tree catcher » September 2nd, 2013, 8:02 pm

Count me in as the ones that think the penalty does not fit the crime. They knew what they were doing and they were pretty sure they would get off with a slap on the wrist. Yeah right 30 days of hard labor... That's almost laughable. Hopefully they are put on a fire crew and really have to work thier tails off instead of just picking up trash on the freeway. Whats even sadder is that many more now know that the penalty is really a slap on the wrist and will continue to rape the resources.
tree catcher

Postby BobK » September 4th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that their fine was comparable to one of us getting a ticket for having a license, but not having it in our possesion. Their sentence sucks! BobK
BobK

Postby WadeK » September 5th, 2013, 11:09 am

When we had to display our licenses, I got a ticket for not having mine displayed at Silverwood Lake. It was pinned to my shirt and pulled off the pin going through some brush. I had the reciept/copy in my wallet and the pin still on the shirt, but still got a ticket. When I went to court the judge dropped the fine from over $400 to $175. As I figure it, I effectively paid almost as much as 2 of these INTENTIONAL poachers for an oops moment, and could have paid more than all of them combined, had I not taken 1/2 a day off work (another ~$75 pay and $40 in gas, loss) and went to court. :fireangry:
On the flip side, the 30 days labor could be a pretty big thing, if they have to serve it consecutively. I know I couldn't take 30 days off from work.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing