REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

M*$#!*

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

M*$#!*

Postby briansII » September 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

briansII :cry:
briansII

Re: M*$#!*

Postby meb » September 12th, 2013, 8:15 pm

As someone who has two rods being repaired at this time, I feel your pain. What is the story behind the broken rod? Mine were broke taking them out of their cases, hard to believe I know. Is it an untaped spey rod?
meb

Postby RichardCullip » September 12th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Ouch! I'm sorry for your loss.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

M*$#!*

Postby silverlaker » September 12th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Bummer! Third section? My favorite rod is out of commission at the moment. Broke the tip - Sage fit it and gave me three sections to wrap. Sentimental rod too... Hopefully not the case for you.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby greenbug » September 12th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Hey BrianII,

I just broke my Helios, the break looks identical. Hopefully it's under warranty.

Paul
greenbug

Postby lucfish » September 13th, 2013, 7:34 am

Look at the positive. The only way for you to break a rod is to be casting it. Hey, at least you were fishing. :mrgreen:
lucfish

Postby midger » September 13th, 2013, 9:05 am

lucfish wrote:Look at the positive. The only way for you to break a rod is to be casting it. Hey, at least you were fishing. :mrgreen:

Now that's not true. The only rods I've ever broken were either by taking them out of their case, slamming a door/window on them, or stepping on them. I've yet to break one on a fish, but I hope Brian broke his on a fish and not on one of the stupid types of breaks that I've had.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby lucfish » September 13th, 2013, 9:12 am

midger wrote:
lucfish wrote:Look at the positive. The only way for you to break a rod is to be casting it. Hey, at least you were fishing. :mrgreen:

Now that's not true. The only rods I've ever broken were either by taking them out of their case, slamming a door/window on them, or stepping on them. I've yet to break one on a fish, but I hope Brian broke his on a fish and not on one of the stupid types of breaks that I've had.

You got me there. :oo:
lucfish

Postby briansII » September 13th, 2013, 9:27 am

meb wrote:As someone who has two rods being repaired at this time, I feel your pain. What is the story behind the broken rod? Mine were broke taking them out of their cases, hard to believe I know. Is it an untaped spey rod?

Painful to replay this horrific event, but this should cover all the questions. Yes, untaped ACR 1215. I broke it right at the guide wrap on the tip section, not at the ferrule. No sentimental value, but it's my most fun rod to cast/fish. Just got off the phone with Mr. Anderson. He has tips ready for the rod, but I still have to send the whole rod back. $50 no fault warranty.

I'd been dieing to get out and cast a spey rod, but lately I just couldn't find the time. Small window of opportunity popped up yesterday, so I grabbed my favorite 2 hander and headed out the door. Less than a half dozen casts I get a violent strike. I have a stout leader so I play the fish hard. Once I see the behemoth, I pull even harder to get it in and released. A Ca. Tailwater Taimen/San Joaquin Valley Bulltrout over 28". I get it within reach and grab the leader. It's still hot, makes a surge, and I hear a sickening sound. User error. The thing that gets to me most, I just wanted to cast, and wasn't planning on fishing. I was in such a hurry to do some casting, I didn't clip the fly off right away. :doh: :doh: 10 minutes in, and I was done.....I almost always take a backup rod, but in too much of a hurry that day.

briansII
briansII

Postby dray » September 13th, 2013, 9:36 am

Oh man, sorry! Sounds like you'll be back in business soon though.
dray

Postby briansII » September 13th, 2013, 9:56 am

You're selling me short. I've broken rods in a truck door, tailgate, a tree, casting, rod sock/tubes, on 3 fish....make that 4 fish, and I'm sure other ways too.

Anyone want to loan me their favorite rod while mine gets repair?

briansII
briansII

Postby Sasha » September 13th, 2013, 6:48 pm

* dude that's screwed, well look at it from a positive standpoint. You can go get a new rod while you wait for the old one to get fixed. Who said you weren't going to buy new gear this year ;)
Sasha

Postby Jimbo Roberts » September 14th, 2013, 1:21 pm

If you haven't broken a rod, well then you're not a seasoned flyfisherman.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Packer » September 14th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:If you haven't broken a rod, well then you're not a seasoned flyfisherman.

Jimbo

Does it have to be my own rod, or can I break somebody else's rod to be seasoned? :bananadance:
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby briansII » September 16th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Sasha wrote:* dude that's screwed, well look at it from a positive standpoint. You can go get a new rod while you wait for the old one to get fixed. Who said you weren't going to buy new gear this year ;)

I like the way you think! But I must confess. I was the one who said I wasn't going to by anymore new gear this year.

......you know. I don't think I said anything about used gear??

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing