REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

SoCal Fly Tying - Set and Secure Dumbbell Eyes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

SoCal Fly Tying - Set and Secure Dumbbell Eyes

Postby flue_fisker » September 13th, 2013, 10:51 pm

I started a YouTube Channel to highlight the flies that we use here in SoCal. I am hoping to show at least one tip or fly a week. We do some cool things here in SoCal and should be proud of our work.

I am starting off with something easy but truthfully during some of the tying demos that I've done I get a lot of questions about

Setting and Securing Dumbbell eyes. Figured this would be a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mq1ssSuLw

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated....

Thanks

Adam
flue_fisker

Re: SoCal Fly Tying - Set and Secure Dumbbell Eyes

Postby darrin terry » September 14th, 2013, 12:38 am

Well done. I do mine pretty much like that, but mine still roll eventually. I tend to use a thicker thread so that I can crank those frapping wraps a bit more. That helped with the rolling eyes, but has not completely stopped my clousers from rolling their eyes at me.

Here's the video:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby flue_fisker » September 14th, 2013, 7:09 am

Thanks Darrin for the feedback. I like to use the Danville Flat Waxed Thread since I can really apply a lot of pressure. I have yet to have issues with mine. Probably not as evident in the vid but I am really pulling on the bobbin and thread.

What thread do you use???

-AP

SoCal Fly Tying
flue_fisker

Postby flyster » September 14th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Niiiiiice work. I like. I enjoyed the demo. This will help all the newbee's for sure.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby darrin terry » September 14th, 2013, 9:46 pm

The last few times I tied clousers, and it's been a while, I used UTC's GSP 100 and 200, depending on the size of the fly. Strong, slippery stufff. I did the glued thread base, two bumps to position the eyes, followed by the lashing wraps and frapping wraps. Worked well but after a few trout from 18-24 inches the fly (I never lost that one) started to twist. I still caught a few more though. That was at least two years back.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby flue_fisker » September 15th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Darrin

I have only used the GSP threads for tying my deer patterns and like you said the stuff is slick. Not sure if this is the reason why you had some slippage of the eyes. When you do get back to tying clousers trying using a some Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon thread. The stuff is strong and lays flat. Great thread for clousers.

Good luck and I hope to get more videos out there.

Also if someone has some suggestions on some video content they would like to see just let me know. The content is for all. I am just a facilitator to make it happen.

Thanks

Adam
flue_fisker

Postby briansII » September 16th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm basically doing the same thing, and using the same thread. GSP thread slips on the hook shank. It does hold better with glue, but I quit using it since Flat Wax Nylon is plenty strong enough. I do use superglue on my Clouser eyes, because I can be very hard on my flies. I hold the eyes to remove the fly, and or hold the fish by the dumbell eyes.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing