REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Riverside Ski & Sport is going out of business

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Riverside Ski & Sport is going out of business

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 9th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I was just in there today and it looks like Bob Slamal is retiring from retail. I think he is still going to offer trips and such, but the shop is closing. It is not a huge fly fishing department, but what he has is on sale.

On another note I discovered the Deep Creek Flyfishers hold there meetings 2 blocks from my house so if any members are here expect me at your next meeting. Looking forward to it.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Re: Riverside Ski & Sport is going out of business

Postby RubiKinda » February 10th, 2009, 6:56 am

Yeah Bob is closing shop and the shop has not been sold. He is just closing the doors. Bob is a great guy and an even better flyfisherman. All his gear is on sale, and although the flyfishing department isn't the largest ( about the size of ORFS in Bishop), he is liquidating. He has a really good fly selection including some of his personal patterns. Anyone looking to get some deals on tying material (hint Craig) should get over there and check it out. He is a bank of info as well and loves to share stories and tactics. He still holds the one day record for the One Fly competition.

He is still offering his trips to fish the Green in Wyoming as well as his local striper stuff. I'll be there this weekend trying to weasel some deals out of him.
RubiKinda

Postby rayfound » February 10th, 2009, 9:09 am

RubiKinda wrote:Yeah Bob is closing shop and the shop has not been sold. He is just closing the doors. Bob is a great guy and an even better flyfisherman. All his gear is on sale, and although the flyfishing department isn't the largest ( about the size of ORFS in Bishop), he is liquidating. He has a really good fly selection including some of his personal patterns. Anyone looking to get some deals on tying material (hint Craig) should get over there and check it out. He is a bank of info as well and loves to share stories and tactics. He still holds the one day record for the One Fly competition.

He is still offering his trips to fish the Green in Wyoming as well as his local striper stuff. I'll be there this weekend trying to weasel some deals out of him.

Actually, I've talked to Bob a few times about this and what he tells me is this: They are selling the snowboard portion of the business, but the new entity will be in a new location and will not continue with the flyfishing portion. They will be leasing their section of the building to a pet store, and Bob and his wife will be retiring.

Yes they are liquidating the fly fishing gear, and yes the tying material is a steal at 50% off. I was hoping to stop by today to pick up some more.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby flybob » February 10th, 2009, 12:28 pm

what is the address?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby rayfound » February 10th, 2009, 12:37 pm

6744 Brockton Ave
Riverside, CA 92506
(951) 784-0205

Bob, if you plan on coming out, its about a mile from my house, and we'll grab a Beer at El Torito (Best happy hour around 4-8 weekdays, $3 well drinks, 1/2 price appetizers)
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby anacrime » February 10th, 2009, 1:12 pm

el torito happy hour is amazing. those boneless buffalo wing things are so flippin good. and i could kill for a margarita right about now. no mexicans in new zealand :cry:
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby rayfound » February 10th, 2009, 1:45 pm

anacrime wrote:el torito happy hour is amazing. those boneless buffalo wing things are so flippin good. and i could kill for a margarita right about now. no mexicans in new zealand :cry:

See you when you get home...

rayfound

Postby flybob » February 10th, 2009, 2:52 pm

anacrime wrote:el torito happy hour is amazing. those boneless buffalo wing things are so flippin good. and i could kill for a margarita right about now. no mexicans in new zealand :cry:

What no Tequila in NZ? :o

I could fix the metsican ting if I had the time and deenero! :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals