REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Good folks at the Spot

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Good folks at the Spot

Postby WanderingBlues » November 7th, 2014, 9:00 am

My wife dragged me to a taping of The Ellen Show this week. Fortunately, the day was made better by knowing the Spot was 7.1 miles away from Warner Bros Studio. When we arrived, I wasn't even out of the car before I was already chatting with another customer about flyfishing the surf.

Once inside, I got good info on a technical line question, lovingly drooled over product I only ever see on line, and admired the related art on the walls. There was chatting about the SoCal stream conditions, El Niño, and more. My wife even made a purchase for an Xmas present for a certain fly fisher..

Point being---- support your local shop where you can. You guys that have a shop close by are fortunate indeed. Even at a 2.5 hour drive, it was worth it to bask in the atmosphere before facing an estrogen filled audience of Ellen lovers.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Good folks at the Spot

Postby Flatsix » November 7th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Agreed.

I recently needed sinking tips and new flyline for Bass fishing. Could I get it cheaper online....yes but I chose to buy it from Marriotts. Plus I like spending an hour wandering around looking at stuff, checking out the latest rods, reels, talking to the shop dudes etc.
Flatsix

Re: Good folks at the Spot

Postby RichardCullip » November 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm

The Fisherman's Spot is a great fly shop. I always made it a point to stop in after each of my surf fishing sessions in Santa Monica. It was right on the way back to Bakersfield. Now that I live down in Poway, it's a bit out of my way but, if I ever find myself up in that neck of the woods again, I'm sure I stop in and say hi (and probably buy some fly tying material).
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals