REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Smash n' Grab.....

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Smash n' Grab.....

Postby Ken@theSpot » June 18th, 2009, 10:02 am

The shop was broken into last night. They smashed the front door with a hammer and then smashed the reel display case. They got away with most of our display reels and damaged the rest. They also took bunch of rods as well. We're not sure of exactly what we have lost yet. If anyone hears of someone trying to sell a bunch of rods and reels without cases or tubes let us know. Thanks.
Ken@theSpot

Re: Smash n' Grab.....

Postby Sasha » June 18th, 2009, 10:16 am

Holy crap I am sorry to hear this. Do you have any video surveillance in the shop?
Sasha

Postby COCarp » June 18th, 2009, 10:39 am

Ken@theSpot wrote:The shop was broken into last night. They smashed the front door with a hammer and then smashed the reel display case. They got away with most of our display reels and damaged the rest. They also took bunch of rods as well. We're not sure of exactly what we have lost yet. If anyone hears of someone trying to sell a bunch of rods and reels without cases or tubes let us know. Thanks.

Just an idea for you...post up the make and models so we can keep an eye out for those who may be attempting to sell the gear online...Also, if you do have surveillance, maybe the culprits were browsing in the shop recently.

Sorry to hear about your fortune, I hope insurance will cover it!
COCarp

Postby darrin terry » June 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Crap Ken! That totally sucks. Some good ideas though about posting a list of stolen stuff. I do know that people have been caught while trying to sell moody goods on ebay at tmes. Hope they get the barstids. :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RiverRat » June 18th, 2009, 11:03 am

theives suck.

Seroiusly good idea CO carp. I had three Bantam Curado baitcasters stolen from my jeep in Bakersfield two years ago and they showed up on Ebay three days later down in LA. Police didn't catch them but got real close because they acted too slow.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Ken@theSpot » June 18th, 2009, 11:05 am

COCarp wrote:
Just an idea for you...post up the make and models so we can keep an eye out for those who may be attempting to sell the gear online...Also, if you do have surveillance, maybe the culprits were browsing in the shop recently.

Sorry to hear about your fortune, I hope insurance will cover it!

We're still trying to figure out what we've lost. Will post ASAP. Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated.
Ken@theSpot

Postby beachbum » June 18th, 2009, 11:08 am

That sucks, Ken. Hopefully your insurance covers the loss. The worse the economy gets, the more this seems to happen. I will keep my eyes open.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Benny » June 18th, 2009, 11:10 am

Sorry to hear about this Ken. I would suggest that people keep an eye out on Craigslist as well once you post a list of what was taken.
Benny

Postby COCarp » June 18th, 2009, 11:12 am

Benny wrote:Sorry to hear about this Ken. I would suggest that people keep an eye out on Craigslist as well once you post a list of what was taken.

X2
COCarp

Postby tomsakai » June 18th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Once you post a list (even partial) we can also be checking Craigslist.
tomsakai

Postby Eric » June 18th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Ken that really sucks. Hope they catch the bastards.
Eric
Eric

Postby castaway » June 18th, 2009, 5:50 pm

The flyfishing community is pretty small.... and we are all only like 2 degrees away from each other.

I know when a local shop got broken into up this way, it wasnt long before the word reached the river... and the guy was nabbed.

Keep your eye on Ebay and craigslist....
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby DubL HauL » June 18th, 2009, 6:46 pm

that is a crying shame! I hope the thieve(s) are caught and you get your stuff back!

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby 1mocast » June 18th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the break in...Just like everyone says and spread the word. Any unique markings on the rods or reels would be of great help...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Ken@theSpot » June 18th, 2009, 9:04 pm

We spent most of the day cleaning and trying to figure out what was stolen. So far we know that they stung us for 101 reels from inexpensive SA and Ross WW models all the way up to Abels and Tibors. We also have 18 reels that are damaged. There were 35 rods as far as we can figure out not counting the 6 that were broken. As soon as I can figure out how to do it I will be posting an inventory on my website and on my blog sometime tomorrow. We really appreciate all your well wishes and offers of support both in person at the store(Rick,Chris & John), on the phone (Al Q called from New Jersey because he heard about it from Bob Popovics who saw it on Dan Blanton's forum), via email (Ken Hanley emailed within minutes of it being posted online) and of course on the web.
Thanks,
Ken@theSpot

Next

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals