REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Another Break in...

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Another Break in...

Postby Flyjunkie » July 3rd, 2009, 7:03 pm

Seems this Screwed up economy is bringing out the Worst in some Folks... :fireangry:

Just got the word today that Performance Anglers in Mammoth lakes, which is owned by My long time friend Joe Contaldi, was broken into in the Past few Days.. High End Rods and Reels were taken.. (Sound familiar??)

Haven't got the details yet... But will post All details A.S.A.P.

This Royally Sucks... :fireangry: :fireangry:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Re: Another Break in...

Postby midger » July 3rd, 2009, 7:20 pm

I agree, it certainly does suck.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby gabe » July 3rd, 2009, 7:24 pm

what the heck! whats going on with this society. jeez!
gabe

Postby Benny » July 3rd, 2009, 7:31 pm

Wow, that's just craziness, what is up with these scumbags :oo:
Benny

Postby Flyjunkie » July 3rd, 2009, 8:01 pm

CRAIG,

Tell me about it... Use to be that Fly Shops didn't bother much with serious security systems... (as in, It might scare off customers to see all that equipment).. The Basic Motion detectors were enough....

Not Anymore....... :fireangry: :fireangry:

Ken & Steve have been talking seriously about such a system since the theft last month... Sad sign of the Times, BUT it has become blatantly obvious that ALL SHOPS have to increase their security systems... And the Sooner the better... :(

I'm in contact with Joe (& Rick) at Performance and will relay all details A.S.A.P.

I'll also Relay that there are a Bunch of Watchful Eyes in Their Corner... :rockon: :rockon:

More as I Find out....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby gabe » July 3rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

as far as surveillance systems go. well i can give my 5 pennies in on that one having been in the industry.
it will deter some thieves, but if they really want it, they'll steal it.
i'll put it this way our surveillance store got broken into, and the sheriff didn't show up on the scene till an hour later.
when it comes to securing merchandise, it is just tough.
it just sucks when its enough damage to make an impact, but not enough to make you really want to report it to the insurance company.

Dean if you guys are looking for a security system, let me see if I still have some contacts in the industry. I'll let you know. It can cost anywhere from $800-$15,000, just depends on how elaborate. There are some pretty good systems on the market that are easy to install if you have to time, and can be networked to the internet so you can monitor the location from a remote location (home).
gabe

Postby beachbum » July 3rd, 2009, 9:37 pm

Is this an industry trend? So sorry to hear about Joe's store. It used to be you could leave your stuff around your campsite, while you fished. Not anymore. Now, nothing is safe.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby NorcalBob » July 4th, 2009, 7:52 am

Yes, unfortunately it is an industry trend. Why do you think The Fly Shop & Marriotts (to only name two) have extensive security systems. The thing that really shocked me, was the amount of shoplifting that takes place in fly shops! I always figured that fly shops were a step above common thievery. Yeah, fly shops are not immune to that either! I can't believe how much stuff got stolen from my shop! :doh: :fireangry:
NorcalBob

Postby Flyjunkie » July 4th, 2009, 8:24 am

beachbum wrote:Is this an industry trend? So sorry to hear about Joe's store. It used to be you could leave your stuff around your campsite, while you fished. Not anymore. Now, nothing is safe.

I hear You Bill.. I remember being able to leave stuff setting on the Seats in my Auto when off on a backpacking Trip.. come back a week later and it was all still there.. haven't be able to do that since the early 90's.. Now the routine is to stash away anything that is tempting and make the Inside of My car look empty..... then head up the Trail.... even then you risk the Chance of Your car being stripped for parts... pretty * sad commentary on today's society... :cry:
Flyjunkie

Postby Flyjunkie » July 4th, 2009, 8:29 am

NorcalBob wrote:Yes, unfortunately it is an industry trend. Why do you think The Fly Shop & Marriotts (to only name two) have extensive security systems. The thing that really shocked me, was the amount of shoplifting that takes place in fly shops! I always figured that fly shops were a step above common thievery. Yeah, fly shops are not immune to that either! I can't believe how much stuff got stolen from my shop! :doh: :fireangry:

I am most sad to hear that happened to you Bob... I remember when i worked at Sport Chalet back in the 90's.. they have sophisticated Security systems in each of the Stores.. However the Scum would still steal stuff... I'd always ask the Lose prevention gent how much they were nailed for Stealing.. almost always it was under $20.. Pretty lame to get a Police record going for only $20.... It was soo Stupid as anyone could see all the Cameras & sensors and such.. but the Dumb Asses would still try stealing... :?
Flyjunkie

Postby RSetina » July 4th, 2009, 11:07 am

Sad news Dean. I will never understand the mentality of someone who breads into a store and steals stuff. Keep an eye out for stuff being sold cheap. You know, I'd bet they wont even sell it cheap to get rid of the stuff.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby nick562 » July 4th, 2009, 3:10 pm

What if it's the same group of scum buckets that hit the spot??I say to any owners of fly shops have all the staff keep a 357 mag loaded and have a quiet sleep over together and wait :gun: :gun:
nick562

Postby Sasha » July 4th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Good lord! WTH is going on down there :?
Sasha

Postby fflutterffly » July 4th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I don't understand with the cost of inventory shops carry they don't have sliding metal gates closed at night. So this is what I see. Orvis is hit by a snatch and go rod theft. Brandon Owens shop is broken into and rods and reels taken. Fishermans Spot is also taken by surprise. Performance is hit. South to North. South to North. If connected someone is moving back and forth. If I had a small shop I'd make sure I had a mute Pitbull with training in Silent Crotch Attack parked inside each night. Let's get these A-holes and stop this crazy stuff :fireangry:
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Eric » July 5th, 2009, 10:08 am

That really sucks. I was in retail for 30 years and the best system was metal gates.
Eric
Eric

Next

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals