REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Found Deals

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Re: Found Deals

Postby RiverRat » November 30th, 2009, 10:02 am

wildfly wrote:I've seen a few found deals postings going into this section lately, and I was thinking it would be better if we make a habit of dropping them in the "For Sale Or Trade" section in order to keep this section here a bit cleaner and easier to navigate through. I think this section should be for information related to physical shop locations that are within range of us actually visiting in person rather than deals from online-focused retailers.

I have no problem with online retailers, I just like to have an area where we can focus on our local shops and try our hardest to support them. Speaking of local shops, does anyone know what is happening with Buz's in Bakersfield?

Sadly they shut down for good :cry:

Mail ordering tying materials is a pain in the neck but I have to now.

shane
RiverRat

Postby RiverRat » November 30th, 2009, 2:30 pm

wildfly wrote:Does the Kernville shop have much for tying materials? I didn't tie back when I was in the shop last (back when Jon Bassett still worked there) so I didn't ever take notice. I guess the only other option in our area is the very limited supply over at Sport Chalet. Other than that, it's either waiting until driving over to Bishop (David has an assortment of tying stuff on his wall) or driving south to the Spot, or ordering online and hoping you get decent stuff.

As far as Buz's goes, that is very unfortunate. I really like Larry Goetz and have made sure to stop in every once in a while to help support the shop, even if it was just for something little. I was getting concerned over the past half year though, watching as important things such as flies didn't get replenished.

Troutfitters has small selection and I don't think the shop has the room to expand for tying materials. It's a destination shop anyways and most guys tie before going on trips.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Eric » November 30th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Craig you can always call dean or ken at the spot and order supplies over the phone.
Eric
Eric

Postby briansII » December 1st, 2009, 9:26 am

RiverRat wrote:
wildfly wrote:I've seen a few found deals postings going into this section lately, and I was thinking it would be better if we make a habit of dropping them in the "For Sale Or Trade" section in order to keep this section here a bit cleaner and easier to navigate through. I think this section should be for information related to physical shop locations that are within range of us actually visiting in person rather than deals from online-focused retailers.

I have no problem with online retailers, I just like to have an area where we can focus on our local shops and try our hardest to support them. Speaking of local shops, does anyone know what is happening with Buz's in Bakersfield?

Sadly they shut down for good :cry:

Mail ordering tying materials is a pain in the neck but I have to now.

shane

Very sad. Buz's was one of the oldest fly shops in Ca. What a shame. :cry:

As for tying materials. It's tough buying sight unseen. I bet one of the guys at The Spot would hand pick your materials. Next best thing to being there.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » December 1st, 2009, 6:12 pm

Brian is right about having the shop employees picking your materials. If you let them know what type flies you plan to tie, the sizes, etc, they can probably do a better job of picking than many newer tiers do. All deer hair isn't the same. If you're tying comparduns, you'll need shorter coastal deer hair or equivalent--all hairs aren't the same and what works on one type fly calling for deer hair won't necessarily work on another calling for deer hair.

Get a tier like Dean from the Spot, or someone with similar talents to pick your mail order materials.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby atomicfly » December 3rd, 2009, 6:17 pm

hi. i'm eric from fresno. just a point of clarification.... isn't Buz' in visalia the self-proclaimed oldest fly shop in the state? i mean, not necessarily the bakersfield shop...

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby darrin terry » December 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

The Visalia shop was closed last year, shortly before the Sportsman's Warehouse opened. A few months later the Sportsman's Warehouse closed it doors. Same owner as the Bakersfield shop as I understand it.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » December 4th, 2009, 10:16 am

A couple links related to Buz Buszek.

http://www.davidlnelson.md/FFF_FlyTying ... istory.htm

http://www.davidlnelson.md/FFF_FlyTying ... Buszek.htm

Quite a while back, I remember reading a story about Buz, and his accomplishments. Very cool that we had a local fly shop with so much history. I guess the shop is no more, but his contributions continue though his Buszek Award.

briansII
briansII

Postby Ken@theSpot » December 4th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Eric wrote:Craig you can always call dean or ken at the spot and order supplies over the phone.
Eric

We are really sad to hear about Larry closing the doors. We have been friends with Larry for a long time and we hate to see another shop go down. This past year has been very hard on our industry.

If anyone needs anything just give us a call on our toll free line 877 785-7306 and we'll do our best to help you.
Ken@theSpot

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals