REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Show Follow up

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Show Follow up

Postby Ken@theSpot » March 14th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Fly Fishing Show Pasadena. We had a blast! Thanks to everyone who attended and a lets get on the manufacturers who didn't support our local fly fishing community. It's a * shame that there were so many fly fishing brands totally unrepresented here in one of the biggest retail markets in the world. Where were the big brands? A huge thanks to Hardy/Greys and Galvan Reels for bucking the trend and giving a * about the So Cal Fly Fishers. You guys rock!
Ken@theSpot

Re: Show Follow up

Postby briansII » March 15th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Ken,

It's encouraging to hear you speak up. I don't know if there is a push from shops and manufacturers to see things change. I would hope so.

Being a person who likes seeing, and fondling all the new gear, I would love to see the big players back at The Fly Fishing Shows. As I posted below, the shows where the manufacturers were represented were great. I think it has a snowball effect, when you see that Sage, Simms, Winston, TFO, Orvis and other big names are on the list of attendees. You get a lot more interest from the public, and probably more vendors wanting to show up. IMHO, to exclude them, would mean a not so slow death of the show.....maybe that's the goal?

For what it's worth(said that 2 times today :roll: ), I did read that the east coast, The Fly Fishing Shows were very well attended.

briansII
briansII

Postby Pete » March 15th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Guess I will have to look into Galvan reels. Doesn't look like Hardy/ Grey's sell blanks? I would rather support a manufacturer and dealer who supports the general public by showing up at the shows.

Is there a reason why attendance is declining? Economy, politics, public attendance, show sponsor?

Pete
Pete

Postby WanderingBlues » March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Thanks to your shop for supporting, though I did miss seeing Dean there on Saturday (had a copperplate etching of a petroglyph for him).

I can't imagine that Fred Hall charges anymore for vendors than the Flyshow, but the industry rolls out for that event en mass. I know we don't have any Shimano's or Penn's in our sport, but there are still some big players. I was very dissapointed that they listed TFO as a participating manufacturer, but were no where to be seen.

The custom bamboo guys were willing to pay the fee, so why not a Sage or Orvis, etc? It won't be the consumer that kills the show. It'll be the lack of industry participation. Thanks for speaking up.

And kudo's to the groups and non-profits that were there who put in so much effort and only get satisfaction in return.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fflutterffly » March 15th, 2010, 3:44 pm

I could hardly believe that not even Orvis, who is just down the street, didn't show or at least have someone passing out 20% coupons! What the *! Imagine you own a business, sales are slow and here is an opportunity to directly hit the audience you need to succeed. You see the want our loyalty, but they are not willing to make the effort for us. I was really looking forward to seeing Echo's products, StreamWorks (Lou from Galvin), Simms new waist high zipper waders and Sage/Rio... Just to name a few. Shows are a great way for dealers and merchandisers to sell off 'last years' goods, cleaning out the closets and adding a little cha-ching to the day. In years past this is what we waited for 'the show' specials. If Blue River Design has a show package of the Soft Milking Eggs I would have spent money.

At least we has our neighborhood shop, Fishermans Spot, supporting us and giving a few deals. Thanks a whole lot! It was great to see everyone from the shop representing.

However, the lectures were worth every cent I paid. From fly tying to small streams and Eastern Sierra. Nice show.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby briansII » March 15th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I believe there's more than meets the eye here. Don't be too quick to blame the manufactures.

Just sayin'.......... ;) ;)

briansII
briansII

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals