REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Channel Islands Fly Fishing Charters

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Channel Islands Fly Fishing Charters

Postby Ken@theSpot » August 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Some spots are still available for our annual FF charters to Annacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. See details below.

We have set the dates for our charters on the Sea Jay for 2010. These local trips are ideal for those wishing to get started in fly fishing the salt. This past year we had great success with Bonita, Calico Bass, Mackerel and Barracuda and in 2010 we expect more of the same. This is a limited load charter with six anglers and a host and fishing is usually fast and furious. Cost is $150 per person. Includes transportation on the Sea Jay to the Channel Islands and live bait (for chum).
This is and ideal way to get into saltwater fly rodding without spending a fortune. You can target multiple species and have the opportunity to tie into some very nice fish.

August 10th 3 SPOTS
September 14th FULL
October 7th 3 SPOTS

No Gear! No Worries!

Always wanted to give saltwater fly fishing a try but don't have the gear? No worries! On September 14 we will be sponsored by Winston Rods, Abel Reels and Scientific Angler Lines and we will have top quality gear on hand for you to use. In addition we will hold a casting seminar on Sunday September 5 to get you tuned up to cast the shooting heads required for this type of angling. This trip is designed for anglers who are interested in trying out this facet of the sport but do not want to make the investment in gear until they know if they like it our not. We have a limited number of outfits available for the other dates. Check with us (Ken or David) for availability.

(818) 785-7306
Ken@theSpot

Re: Channel Islands Fly Fishing Charters

Postby Flyjunkie » August 5th, 2010, 8:27 am

Hey Folks, These trips on the Sea Jay to the Islands are such a Blast!!!! other then owning a Boat or having a friend with a Boat, this is the Only Way You can go over to the Northern Channel Islands and Flyfish (Cattle Boats normally will not allow flyfishing..).. Capt. John understands how to work with Flyfishers & does everything just right (and he actually told me while out fishing with him 2 years ago, he would rather take out Flyfishers because we were NOT all about the stuffing of the Gunny Sack...).

Besides You cannot hook "Island Sized" Bonito in Kings Harbour... These Trips are such a Kick in the butt for Fun!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby RichardCullip » August 5th, 2010, 8:43 am

I'm signed up for the Sept 14th trip. It will be my first trip of this type and I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation. I strongly suspect that I'll also be on the Oct 7th trip if there's still room for me by the time I make up my mind. I'm hoping to hook something that can put a nice bend in a 10wt ;) ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby FlyinFish » August 9th, 2010, 8:43 am

Hey guys, I just got back from fishing the Sea Jay on a gear trip. Great boat and great crew. Nice spacious stern for how small the boat is. The weather was flat calm and the islands were gorgeous.

The fishing has been a little slow since the water is very cold this year, but we had a great bite on sugar bass (just another kelp bass/rockfish species) and sheepshead. There was also talk of cudas inshore. All the fish were in like 20'-40' deep water so they should be achievable with some sinking line.

Bring lots of snacks and beer and have a good time. It's a gorgeous area to fish out of and seeing the Channel Islands is always a treat.
FlyinFish

Postby Flyjunkie » August 9th, 2010, 11:02 am

Yeah, water is still kinda cold for this time of Year... However I heard from my Good friend ROB B. that a few weeks back he made the run over to Catalina and on the return trip came across a small group of "Fire Cracker" sized DORADO!!!!!

So the Season might be off to a late Start, but if the trend continues, We should have a Great Sept./ Oct. at the Islands... :rockon: :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals