REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

No Marriott's Show This Year

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

No Marriott's Show This Year

Postby tomsakai » October 4th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Bob Marriott's has announced on their website that they will not be staging their annual November show. They state it will be back for 2011. What a bummer; I enjoyed going to their show more than the Pasadena show.
tomsakai

Re: No Marriott's Show This Year

Postby RSetina » October 4th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Too bad. I like their show too. Next year.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Rob909 » October 5th, 2010, 5:52 am

Hmmmmm.....I wonder what the reason is? Especially since the site said it would be back in 2011.

I also enjoyed dropping by. I usually ended up seeing a bunch of you guys there!

Rob
Rob909

Postby Flatsix » October 5th, 2010, 6:32 am

If any of you find out what the reason for the cancellation, let us know.

I've stopped by the show for a few hours and talked to the manuf and vendors, watch tying and casting demos, enter the drawings and buy a few things.

Just like everything else, it must be the economy.
Flatsix

Postby Eric » October 5th, 2010, 8:50 am

That is to bad. The last couple of years the show at Bob's been better then the fly fishing show.
Eric
Eric

Postby fly addict » October 5th, 2010, 8:53 am

Flatsix wrote:If any of you find out what the reason for the cancellation, let us know.

I've stopped by the show for a few hours and talked to the manuf and vendors, watch tying and casting demos, enter the drawings and buy a few things.

Just like everything else, it must be the economy.

It's the same reason Marriott's did not produce a 2010 catalog, bad times. I guess they must figure 2011 will be better. I think they need more 25% off sales to stimulate business.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » October 5th, 2010, 10:42 am

I think it's the economy too. Not only the shops, but the manufacturers are cutting back. The biggest west coast ISE Show was canceled. San Mateo has always been the "big show", but it's no longer going to happen.....for now. This will probably benefit The Fly Fishing Show, but who knows.

briansII
briansII

Postby Rob909 » October 5th, 2010, 11:41 am

Eric wrote:That is to bad. The last couple of years the show at Bob's been better then the fly fishing show.
Eric

Very true Eric. Even with the BM show being cancelled I still will not go to the Pasadena show. I think it has steadily gone downhill.

Rob
Rob909

Postby FishingHiker » October 5th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Rob909 wrote:
Eric wrote:That is to bad. The last couple of years the show at Bob's been better then the fly fishing show.
Eric

Very true Eric. Even with the BM show being cancelled I still will not go to the Pasadena show. I think it has steadily gone downhill.

Rob

I was very disappointed in Fred Haul and the Pasadena Fly Fishing Show last year. I did like Marriott's show better than the other two combined.
FishingHiker

Postby Rob909 » October 6th, 2010, 7:26 am

FishingHiker wrote:I was very disappointed in Fred Haul and the Pasadena Fly Fishing Show last year. I did like Marriott's show better than the other two combined.

Fred Hall is okay if you still fish conventional rod/reel. And it is good for ocean gear. But there is just not much there for fly fishermen.

I stopped going years ago even though I can get in for free!

Rob
Rob909

Postby briansII » October 6th, 2010, 10:28 am

It's a catch 22. If we are disappointed, and stop going to fly fishing shows, we lose them altogether. The vendors/manufacturers have no incentive to show up. The organizer is only going to lose money for so long. FWIW, I read that the east coast. The Fly Fishing Shows had great turnouts. The Pasadena had poor turnout, and the Pleasanton show was down too. With companies like Sage, Winston, Simms, ect cutting back on the show circuit, where do you think they'll stop showing up at. :(

If at all possible, I'll try AGAIN(could not make it happen the last 2 years), to make the Pleasanton show. With the San Mateo ISE gone, I hope there will be more going on at TFS this time around.

briansII
briansII

Postby FishingHiker » October 6th, 2010, 5:46 pm

The Pasadena show was a mess last year. It usually rains the weekend of the show, last year the vendor building and lecture hall was like 500 yards apart? I guess this was better than when they were right next to each other. Then when guys were asking where Sage was (they were a no show) the response was we told Sage they could have a booth for free, they didn't want to come. If I was a paying vendor I would have been * to hear that. It just gets harder to shell out $30 bucks for parking, entrance etc. to see the same tiers that I can see for free at a local shop or club or go to a lecture that is exactly the same as it has been for the last 8 years. As far as Sage and the others, if the big companies don't want to show up, than I guess I don't need any of there new gear.
FishingHiker

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals