REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New Custom Nets Roundup-Been Too Busy to Post These

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Postby Fishfreak911 » December 22nd, 2012, 3:55 am

Hello my fellow fly junkies! I have had a very productive year-So productive, I've not had time to post in months! So, this is a roundup of the last 4 nets I have sent out of the studio. I'll post more as I get to them.

This first one is a net commissioned by my best friend's mother. She wanted to get him something this year that he would always cherish. She had one request: to include at least 1 ladybug as that is something she often includes in her signature.

The handle wood is burled Carolina Cherry which is a street tree here in So Cal. It is quite rare and not commercially available. In the inclusions, I inlaid Kingman turquoise & copper. The handle has a Wenge spine for strength. The hoop is Wenge as well. The lanyard is hand-tied paracord and runs through a copper ferrule.
The ladybugs (there are two) were a labor of love. They were cut from a piece of bloodwood about 1/8" thick on a scroll saw. I hand sanded them to final shape, and then carved out the matching inlay holes in the net. The dots on the ladybug were drilled with a high speed .015" carbide bit, and then inlaid with black stone.
The hand-rubbed finish is a proprietary mixture of oils, varnish and carnauba wax. They are buffed out by machine as the last step.

The next is made from a prized piece of Mahogany I rescued from becoming a door many years ago. It is curly, and RARE! This thing must be seen in full sunlight to be appreciated. The hoop woods are Curly Maple & Mahogany. The two black stripes are actually strips I cut and sanded to .014" thick. It's a real pain to do, but the outcome is worth it!

This client, up in Portland, actually called me right after he received it to thank me and to tell me that he was literally sleeping with the net that night!
I use upcycled foam to pack up the nets. I have a 100% undamaged shipping record (knock on wood!) The foam is rescued from the trash bin as scraps from a packaging company.

This next net is one of my all time favorites! it was made for great FF advocate here in a local club. the wood is really nice spalted burl maple. It was stabilized and then coupled with a mahogany, curly maple & Wenge hoop. The Latigo Leather, copper, and brass Magnetic Net Release is spalted Maple as well. He also ordered one of my Net Safety lanyards.
The client wanted a copper inlaid trout on the front face of the net. I hand carve and then inlay it with copper.

The last net was a Christmas commission which I just shipped out to a very happy San Diego wife of an avid fly fisherman.
It is Cat's Paw Burl Maple with copper inlaid into the open burl eyes. The hoop is Wenge and all accents are copper as well. I really liked this net. It was sleek.

DryFlyRie, one of these could have been yours buddy! Call me!

I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for checking them out.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Re: New Custom Nets Roundup-Been Too Busy to Post These

Postby fly addict » December 22nd, 2012, 6:17 am

Greg,

I normally don't get up this early (5 am) to post, but I’m working on a batch of flybob’s smoke salmon and had to get it on the drying racks. The nets look awesome and I’m sure the new owners will be stoked as much as I am about mine. Now I can go back to bed.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Pete » December 22nd, 2012, 9:49 am

Oh, Carolina Cherry where have you been all my life? I knew I loved the Cherry when I turned it for your reel seat and now I love it even more.

You are truly a master Artisan. I bow to your amazing talents.

Your have inspired me to head to the studio right now and work on Brad's rod.

Pete
Pete

Postby dray » December 22nd, 2012, 10:04 am

WOW amazing work Greg. Looks like you have been super busy. Attention to detail really shows, great job. Darrin
dray

Postby RiverRat » December 22nd, 2012, 11:04 am

True art but not for hanging on the wall!

shane
RiverRat

Postby darrin terry » December 22nd, 2012, 2:09 pm

Wowowwowowowowowowowowow Greg! Love those. I've never seen a piece of spalted maple that large before. Very cool. The turquoise…I dig that. Terry Henson is about the only other person I know that does, or did as I've no idea if he still does, that sort of thing. I grew up with turquoise as I've an uncle who used to make turquoise jewelry and many in the family wore it. Great stuff.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rob909 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

Awesome work Greg!

Rob
Rob909

Postby DrCreek » December 22nd, 2012, 4:30 pm

I'm still stunned that you allowed me to hold several of your masterpieces. I wanted that "small" net you shared with me so bad I almost cried. But I also know that Curtis would have arrested my butt if I tried to walk-off with one.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Rasputinj » December 22nd, 2012, 5:06 pm

Looks great Greg, can't wait until end of January when you are done with my net. That Carolina cherry is beautiful.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby anacrime » December 22nd, 2012, 6:01 pm

So good. I'm super jealous of your craftsmanship.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby lucfish » December 22nd, 2012, 6:12 pm

Those nets are nice. It made me go out in the garage and look at my net that you made. You've got the talent. I've said this before but it bears repeating, if you want the net of a lifetime that will last you a lifetime made here locally one at a time you'd be crazy not to call Greg right now. Glad to see you're busy Greg.
lucfish

Postby Autodave » December 23rd, 2012, 4:24 pm

Greg- I seen your post on Lumberjocks,figured you HAD to put something on here. I really like the ladybugs. How did you learn how to do the copper inlays?
Autodave

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 29th, 2013, 12:25 am

Thank you all! Especially Luc. You have challenged me in many ways and helped propel me to where I am today, so thank you. Incidentally, I just had a client request the Rod of Asclepius for his Net! Image

DT, Mark, Dray, & Pete-Always appreciate your Comments guys! I know you have skills, so I'm in great company!

@ Autodave: Lots and lots of trial and error Dave! It still seems to be a learning curve though a lot less steep these days!

Best to all!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby flybob » January 29th, 2013, 11:36 am

Autodave wrote:Greg- How did you learn how to do the copper inlays?

I know his secret........ :pot:
and it will stay a secret! :censored:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals