REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Yosemite Rivers Fly Shop opening this weekend in Oakhurst

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Re: Yosemite Rivers Fly Shop opening this weekend in Oakhurst

Postby darrin terry » January 2nd, 2009, 2:01 pm

The info I have as to an address is:

Yosemite Rivers Fly Shop
40807 Hwy 41
Oakhurst, CA

Hope to get up there this weekend to check things out. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby unskunkable » January 3rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

my buddy that lives in Oakhurst is gonna be thrilled he just got into fly fishing this christmas with a winston 4wt from his dad and a sage 8wt from me. SWEET!!!!!!! now I have a place to go when I visit him
unskunkable

Postby darrin terry » January 3rd, 2009, 10:22 pm

Robert (Ashtree1) and I went up there this morning. Good location I think. I really hope it works out for him. This was the first time I've met Jimmy. Nice guy, and like Craig has said so many times, he's pretty passionate about the local waters. We talked about the forums and their impact on the local watersheds. While I remain unsold on the idea that the forums are the culprit, I do think we are part of the problem along with the newspaper articles and the odd story on the telly. It basically reinforces what we've been talking about in the thread that Stohble started. I will continue to watch my reports and the info I am passing along publicly.

We were there for about 2.5 hours, talking to Jimmy or watching the fly tying demos or just BSing with other people. There were about 5-6 people there that I knew from the Fresno club. Kind of like a mini club meeting seeing as those that I talk to most at club meetings were the ones at the opening. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » January 6th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Robert (Ashtree1) and I went up there this morning. Good location I think. I really hope it works out for him. This was the first time I've met Jimmy. Nice guy, and like Craig has said so many times, he's pretty passionate about the local waters. We talked about the forums and their impact on the local watersheds. While I remain unsold on the idea that the forums are the culprit, I do think we are part of the problem along with the newspaper articles and the odd story on the telly. It basically reinforces what we've been talking about in the thread that Stohble started. I will continue to watch my reports and the info I am passing along publicly.

We were there for about 2.5 hours, talking to Jimmy or watching the fly tying demos or just BSing with other people. There were about 5-6 people there that I knew from the Fresno club. Kind of like a mini club meeting seeing as those that I talk to most at club meetings were the ones at the opening. :D

Hey darrin,

Did Jimmie have a good inventory already. I'll try and stop by on my trips up that way, but most likely the shop will be closed(too early and late).

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » January 6th, 2009, 3:23 pm

No, not really. He said he was not truly ready, but felt it necessary to get the place open. He had some shirts and hats and leaders and such on one wall and a few rods going up on the back wall. Some stuff in the glass counter. He said there was still a wall to go up as he was only going to have half the place for his shop. The other half was going to someone else. Still, if you are going through and they are open it would be worth a stop. I hope to do more fishing up that way this year as I have done very little in that direction. I will be stopping in later in the season when he has things a little more established.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » January 6th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:No, not really. He said he was not truly ready, but felt it necessary to get the place open. He had some shirts and hats and leaders and such on one wall and a few rods going up on the back wall. Some stuff in the glass counter. He said there was still a wall to go up as he was only going to have half the place for his shop. The other half was going to someone else. Still, if you are going through and they are open it would be worth a stop. I hope to do more fishing up that way this year as I have done very little in that direction. I will be stopping in later in the season when he has things a little more established.

Thanks for the info. I'll swing by for sure. I stopped in at his place on the river when he first opened. They were still unpacking stuff. I didn't think that place was going to be a full inventory shop like the one in Oakhurst. I wish him well.

briansII
briansII

Postby Trootfisher » January 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:We talked about the forums and their impact on the local watersheds. While I remain unsold on the idea that the forums are the culprit, I do think we are part of the problem along with the newspaper articles and the odd story on the telly. It basically reinforces what we've been talking about in the thread that Stohble started.

what is the impact of the forums on local flyshops?
my guess is "beneficial."
Trootfisher

Postby Ken@theSpot » January 12th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Trootfisher wrote:what is the impact of the forums on local flyshops?
my guess is "beneficial."

I would say the forums can have a positive effect on the local fly shops but there are also negatives. The hard thing for us as fly shop (owners/workers) is that we naturally want to increase our business but we are also are avid anglers and realize the adverse effect that too many people have on our streams. We don't want to get to a stream and have twenty other guys flogging the water either. So we try to expand the types of fishing (warm water/saltwater) to add to the mix. I think education is a big key and we try to do our part on that. It's not going to get any better soon. Just my 2 cents.
Ken@theSpot

Postby Bernard » January 13th, 2009, 12:30 pm

I was up there a few days ago. Honestly I think it will serve a need and the location is prime. Only time will tell but a huge hats off to Jimmie for brazenly doing this!

* The local waters gallery is a highlight *

B
Bernard

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals