REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Fishers Anonymous.....

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Fly Fishers Anonymous.....

Postby Ken@theSpot » January 3rd, 2009, 2:50 pm

Happy New Year

Happy New Year and thanks for supporting your local fly shop. We hope that your year will be happy, healthy and filled with memorable fishing adventures.

Introduction to Fly Fishing Class
We will be starting another "Intro" class on January 14th at 6:30 PM here at the store. Dennis Komatsu, our senior instructor, will begin his 25th year of instruction at Fishermen's Spot and we are proud to offer this level instruction for another year. Classes are three consecutive Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:30 PM and cover, in a logical way the, the steps to getting a good foundation in this great sport. Class fee $100 payable to the instructor at first meeting. Please call (818) 785-7306 to reserve your spot as class size is limited to 8 people only.

FFA
Fly Fishers Anonymous: An informal group of avid anglers dedicated to futhering their fly fishing addiction. :roll:
This group will get together on Thursday evenings at the "Spot" from 6 to 8 PM to share ideas, fly tying, casting and general BS. We'll have tables set up for fly tying and rigging and as the days grow longer we'll get outside for some casting as well. This is a chance to absorb the skills that make us all better fly fishers from experienced local anglers in a very informal, no cost setting. Beginning Thursday, January 15th 2009 we will be open until 8 PM every Thursday until further notice. This will also help those of you who can't make it to the store during our regular business hours. Novice and experienced anglers alike will grow from this creative exchange of ideas and techniques. Stop by and feed your Addiction.

Ken, Steve, Dean and the gang @ the "Spot"
Ken@theSpot

Re: Fly Fishers Anonymous.....

Postby Eric » January 3rd, 2009, 5:06 pm

Ken I really like the idea of the FFA. I'll see you on the 15th
Eric
Eric

Postby Flyjunkie » January 8th, 2009, 9:44 am

nice thing is I can sleep in on Thursday Mornings now.... ;)

This will be FUN..... 8-) 8-)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby planettrout » January 23rd, 2009, 3:22 pm

Hmmmmmm...

Maybe a 12 Step Program for this?

1. I am powreless over fly fishing and my life is unmanageable.

PT/TB :mrgreen:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Bernard » January 31st, 2009, 7:19 pm

Here are some photos from FFA #2

Some of the gang:

Dean's work in progress:

A good time.

B.
Bernard

Postby midger » February 1st, 2009, 7:08 am

Nice get together it appears. I like Fean's Kokipelli Tat. Haven't seen one of those before. What's the fly he was tying?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Flyjunkie » February 1st, 2009, 8:53 am

midger wrote:Nice get together it appears. I like Fean's Kokipelli Tat. Haven't seen one of those before.

Thanks Mike, it's my most recent tattoo.. Got it back in 2000...(I Need to get More Ink..Got the Design all ready.. need to find a Quality Inker to grind it into my Flesh... :shock: )

midger wrote:What's the fly he was tying?

It's a Euro "Anchor" Nymph.. tyed a Jig hook.. with a Tungsten Bead.. sucker is Heavy, but it anchors the 3 nymph rig on the bottom, even in fast, deep currents... No Overhead casting with this beast... ;)

The 2 Gents in the first photo are the Forrest Brothers, Mike on the Left and Steve on the right... Consummate Flyfishers, talented Tyers and all around Good people... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Eric » February 1st, 2009, 10:16 pm

Flyjunkie wrote:
midger wrote:Nice get together it appears. I like Fean's Kokipelli Tat. Haven't seen one of those before.

Thanks Mike, it's my most recent tattoo.. Got it back in 2000...(I Need to get More Ink..Got the Design all ready.. need to find a Quality Inker to grind it into my Flesh... :shock: )

midger wrote:What's the fly he was tying?

It's a Euro "Anchor" Nymph.. tyed a Jig hook.. with a Tungsten Bead.. sucker is Heavy, but it anchors the 3 nymph rig on the bottom, even in fast, deep currents... No Overhead casting with this beast... ;)

The 2 Gents in the first photo are the Forrest Brothers, Mike on the Left and Steve on the right... Consummate Flyfishers, talented Tyers and all around Good people... ;)

Dean the flys worked out pretty good this weekend. Lots of fish :!:
Eric
Eric

Postby Ken@theSpot » February 2nd, 2009, 6:34 pm

This week I'm are going to spin and stack some deer hair among other things. I'm going to try to get Dean to show me how to do woven nymph bodies too. If you have a pattern that you have developed or modified and you want to share it stop by between 6 pm and 8 pm and show us your chops.
Ken@theSpot

Postby Flyjunkie » February 3rd, 2009, 8:32 am

Ken@theSpot wrote:This week I'm are going to spin and stack some deer hair among other things. I'm going to try to get Dean to show me how to do woven nymph bodies too. If you have a pattern that you have developed or modified and you want to share it stop by between 6 pm and 8 pm and show us your chops.

That Woven Stuff is abit trying at times.... But I am far improved from a few weeks ago... I have certainly found out that if you don't Weave Bodies for a number of years.. You really have to work at getting your Groove going with it again... But I'll be a Weaving fool This Thursday... :? :P ;)
Flyjunkie

Postby Bernard » February 3rd, 2009, 11:23 am

I hope to drop in on Thursday this week with a fly "issue" or "challenge". It dawned on me while trying to develop and idea that these tying meetings are great places to bring one's tying baggage (and otherwise). Lots of great shoulders to cry on and bonding over tasteless jokes. See you there (in a threatening tone heh heh). I will be seeking insights from all in attendance.
B
Bernard

Postby Trootfisher » February 22nd, 2009, 12:17 am

are these still happening?

I was on my way home from work last thurs and thought it'd be a good way to
break up the drive, but I wasn't even at the exit until 8:15. If I have another
long thursday, I'm definitely stopping by. . .
Trootfisher

Postby Flyjunkie » February 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

Trootfisher wrote:are these still happening?

I was on my way home from work last Thurs and thought it'd be a good way to
break up the drive, but I wasn't even at the exit until 8:15. If I have another
long Thursday, I'm definitely stopping by. . .

Yeah, Every Thursday evening.. (Unless otherwise posted... ) yeah 8:15 would have been abit too late.. But Stop on by if you make it by earlier..
Flyjunkie

Postby Flyjunkie » February 25th, 2009, 10:11 am

Just a Quick Note regarding this Thursday, Feb. 26th... The FFA will not be having it's meeting, as Other commitments have top priority... (and the tables will be gone as well)

we will resume March 5th...

Apologizes to all addicts.... ;)
Flyjunkie

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals