REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Marriott's Sold!

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Marriott's Sold!

Postby tomsakai » May 8th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight who is in a position to know. He said that the new owner is the same person that recently bought Kiene's in Sacramento and owns Grizzly Hackle in Missoula Mt. and another shop that he wasnt sure of the location. Apparently they feel that they will increase their efficiency with a central warehouse serving all 4 stores. Kevin Bell and staff are still there but Bob and family have retired. Hopefully this will bring more inventory and greater efficiency to Marriott's.
tomsakai

Re: Marriott's Sold!

Postby NorcalBob » May 9th, 2013, 7:05 am

WOWZERS, he's growing his empire!!! Kiene's is one of the top FF retail stores in NorCal in Sacramento, and Jensen just got it this January. Now he's also bought out Mariott's five months later. He must have a lot of cash lying around as both shops were very successful and big (and based upon what failed FF shop owners are asking for crappy shops with no inventory, these must have sold for a pretty penny!)! Hopefully he can handle the debt load/cash flow issues and both shops will keep going strong for a very long time. :Pop:
NorcalBob

Postby beachbum » May 9th, 2013, 7:21 am

I hope Bob enjoys his retirement. Hope the new owner keeps their great fly tying supply inventory :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby BrookfieldAngler » May 9th, 2013, 8:46 am

Wow! More inventory?! As a guy who doesn't really have too many local fly only shops, I was like a kid in legoland when I went to Marriots. I even bought a new pair of wading boots from them when I was out there.

With the prospect of more stuff, I can't wait to go back. I think I just figured out the next family vacation :mrgreen:
BrookfieldAngler

Postby rkfiske » May 9th, 2013, 8:50 am

The real relief here is that someone picked it up. I could just as easily see another LFS bite the dust. Glad to still have a shop (semi)nearby! That is... if I ever get out and fish again lol.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby fly addict » May 9th, 2013, 11:07 am

Maybe he has his eyes next on Brock's Flyfishing in Bishop! ;)
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby NorcalBob » May 9th, 2013, 12:35 pm

PS, with regards to the hope of increasing inventory, that has not happened yet at Kiene's (and I don't know whether it will increase or not). It always was a great fly shop with a great inventory, and it still is. But it still has about the same inventory (which may be an appropriate inventory level for a successful retail business in that location). I haven't been in Mariott's in a couple of years, but I really don't see how you can increase his inventory, because it was fantastic back then!
NorcalBob

Postby RichardCullip » May 9th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Over the past 6 months or so I've been disappointed with Marriott's. In the old days, I could order fly tying material from them and get it delivered in a day or two. I used to love making a yearly trip down there just to browse the many many aisles of tying material. However, they have had to backorder items on my last three online orders. I don't think I've been ordering anything rare or unusual but, whatever the reason, they haven't had what I needed in stock. Hence the backorder and delay. Hopefully the new owners will, once again, have what I want in stock when I order. They used to be my most reliable online fly shop for tying materials.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby fflutterffly » May 10th, 2013, 5:41 am

From what I hear from reliable sources there is more to come on the buy out side. What would be interesting is if he centralized the on-line shopping, giving an increase inventory. A new chapter in fly fishing stores and California's future in this industry.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Rob909 » May 10th, 2013, 6:59 am

Wow.....inventory issue aside, I'm surprised Bob didn't keep it in the family. I think a daughter or two worked there.

Rob
Rob909

Postby flocktothewall » May 17th, 2013, 4:01 pm

I noticed this week the receipt said "Bob Marriott's Grizzly Hackle" is that new then? If so that was fast, being that usually those types of changes take a while.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Swanee » May 17th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I also had a bad experience with ordering from them, hooks and beads should be common items but it took 6 weeks and they subd 2-25 pks for 100 packs and sent cash back in the mail. I also wasted $15 on Flouroflex that was so old it was rotten. No mo online from them.
Swanee
Swanee

Postby clee » May 20th, 2013, 12:27 am

They've kept Bob. He's still in there and comes and goes as he pleases. The girls only worked a couple days a week and they are now gone. It seems to me the place has more energy now and the boys seem to be smiling more than I remembered in the past few years. I'm glad the shop will stay around, I knew Bob was stessing and I was worried he'd just close the place down. At least for now its here to stay and I'm glad since the other fly stores within a reasonable drive from me are pretty weak.

Expect a remodel and the return of the FF Fair. Should be good times.
clee

Postby planettrout » May 24th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I was there today and if what I saw is any indication, their inventory is going to explode. There were fly tying materials there - in quantity - that I wish they had always had.Their hook selection, in stock, was vastly improved over my last visit, about six weeks ago. I was told there would also be some renovation and improvements to the store's interior, which should make it more user friendly and a place in back of the store where Fly Fisherman can hang out and swap lies... :funnyup: :P :bananadance:

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby tomsakai » October 28th, 2013, 6:57 pm

I read today on the Kiene board that Fishwest, the online retailer in Utah is also part of the group. Kiene's, Marriott's, Grizzly Hackle (Missoula) and Fishwest are under common ownership. Interesting, combining online retailing with brick and mortar stores. Kiene's is going to be renamed to Fishwest. I guess the same will happen to Marriott's.
tomsakai

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals