REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Casting Ponds

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

Casting Ponds

Postby Bernard » August 26th, 2017, 11:45 am

After some recent fishing outings (the first in a very long time) I was reminded as to how radically different a rod can perform with one line versus another not to mention how my casting is rusty. Can anyone kindly share with me what the policy is with access to the casting ponds (Pasadena, Long Beach) or does one brazenly hop the fence and say that they are related to Ernest Hemmingway (kidding)? Experiencing a renewed stoke and need to dial in which rods and reels and lines are best for specific situations and techniques. I think I need to invest some "pond time".
Thank you!
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Casting Ponds

Postby acorad » August 27th, 2017, 9:50 am

Bernard, afaik, the LB Casting Pond is part of the park, so anyone can use it.

Also, I think closer to you, is Balboa Lake in the Valley. Has a casting area right next to the parking lot. The Southern Pacific Fly Fishers have casting instructors there on a monthly basis I think.

I don't know much about the Pasadena pond, but I believe it's similar to LB...

Andy
acorad

Postby Bernard » August 27th, 2017, 10:19 am

This helps Andy - THANKS!
Bernard

Postby zenmic » September 14th, 2017, 4:44 pm

The casting pond in Pasadena is in Lower Arroyo Seco Park and has no fence around it. When I was learning, took a few of the classes at the Pasadena Casting Club, and I would stop by the park to practice at casting pool on the way home from work after 5 and leave before it got too dark. I am pretty the casting pond is open to the public.
zenmic

Postby Bernard » September 18th, 2017, 7:03 am

zenmic wrote:The casting pond in Pasadena is in Lower Arroyo Seco Park and has no fence around it. When I was learning, took a few of the classes at the Pasadena Casting Club, and I would stop by the park to practice at casting pool on the way home from work after 5 and leave before it got too dark. I am pretty the casting pond is open to the public.

Thanks Zenmic!

Although I still need to hit the ponds, I got some practice this past weekend on the river.
One thing that never seems to be perfected is mending. I am entertained by how sometimes you get a great drift with a horrible cast and other times, you need to throw in 10 mends ... it pays off though. Always something to learn.

B.
Bernard

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information