REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

KRFF Club is going to the beach - June 12

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

KRFF Club is going to the beach - June 12

Postby RichardCullip » May 27th, 2010, 7:15 am

KRRF Surf Outing

On Saturday June 12, 2010, the KRFF gang is going to the beach. This year I hope to drive over to Carpinteria on Friday after work and spend the night so I don’t have to get up super early on Saturday like I usually do when going to the beach. Plan to come over the night before or drive over early enough Saturday morning to be on the beach at dawn. We will fish hard until about noon; then grab a bite to eat for lunch and head back to Bakersfield to be home by 4PM or so on Saturday. Those of you who want to make it a weekend outing can stay over and fish Sunday morning but you will have to do it without me as I need to be back in Bakersfield for a Sunday commitment.

Here's some details about the trip:

What: Fly Fishing the Surf Outing

When: Saturday June12, 2010 from 6AM to Noon (or later if the fish are biting)

Where: Santa Claus Lane Beach, Carpinteria, CA (Santa Claus Lane exit off the 101 on the north edge of town)

Activities: Optional lunch gathering at Andria’s Seafood, Ventura Harbor Village or somewhere closer if folks want to fish the afternoon.

Equipment: 5-8 wt rods and saltwater-safe reel loaded with fast sinking integrated shooting head line (SA Streamer Express, Rio Striper 26DC, Orvis Depth Charge, Teeny lines or Airflow Depth Finder Quick Max). I like to use a 200grn line on 5-6 wt rods, a 250grn line on a 7wt and 300 grn line on an 8wt rod. I’ll have a few extra rods and reels if you want to borrow one for the day or just try one out for an hour or so. Drop me a note if you want to borrow equipment (rod, reel, stripping basket or just flies) for the day or just have some questions about fly fishing in the surf. This will let you give the beach a try without any extra expense buying stuff for the surf.

Flies: Size 4-6 Buggers, Clousers or Crazy Charlie’s in orange or red. I’ll have some extra flies with me if you want to fish with what I use on the beach.

Pre-trip practice: I’ll be available some evenings before the trip if anyone wants to get together for a bit of casting practice prior to the trip. Drop me a note and we can arrange to meet at a local pond. Trust me, if you don’t know how to cast a fast sinking shooting head style line you don’t want to be learning it for the first time while waves are doing their best to knock you down.

P.S – you will need an Ocean Enhancement Stamp ($5.25) for this trip. It’s required to fish beaches south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County).
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Re: KRFF Club is going to the beach - June 12

Postby RichardCullip » June 10th, 2010, 8:42 pm

If you are in the neighborhood on Saturday morning, stop by and say Hi! There might be as many as 12 of us slingin' flies on the beach

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby beachbum » June 10th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Good luck, Richard. Hope you guys have good fishing, and lots of fun!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby RichardCullip » June 10th, 2011, 8:52 am

Wow! I was shocked to see this post come back to life since it was last year's trip. ;) ;) ;)

We did go to the same beach just last weekend, June 4th 2011 and a fun day on the beach in spite of seriously cold and windy conditions.

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information