REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Annual Casting Class Begins Tuesday 4/12

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

Annual Casting Class Begins Tuesday 4/12

Postby Jim T » April 11th, 2011, 1:22 pm

The Long Beach Casting Club annual casting class begins Tuesday 4/12 with an orientation followed by 5 weeks of lessons. Classes are taught by certified casting instructors. All the classes meet Tuesday at 7pm at the Long Beach Casting Club pond (4/12 - 5/17). Club membership is not required. Admission is free.

http://www.longbeachcastingclub.org/classes

Learn the roll cast, pick up and lay down, false casting, and various mends. Even if you're no longer a beginner, it's a great way to improve your casting and eliminate those bad habits you've picked up over the years. If you're already proficient but have friends or family that want to learn (including your spouse), send them over.

Jim T
Jim T

Re: Annual Casting Class Begins Tuesday 4/12

Postby Wildman » April 11th, 2011, 2:04 pm

My wife and I will be attending. This is an incredible program.

I sure need the help and she will be starting from scratch without any bad habits. Because we have been married forty years this year, I also thought it prudent to have someone else teach her.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Wildman » April 20th, 2011, 11:01 am

I went last night for the first casting class and it was pretty amazing. Almost one hundred people gathered to see an informative talk and video in the beginning and then spend 2 hours out on the casting pond practicing a simple pickup and lay down. Lots of instructors were there to help (and lots tried to help me) and they had concise tips on how to achieve that simple pick up and lay down maneuver. Simple you say? At the end of evening, I'm not sure I was much better then when I started. As they stressed....this simple approach is the building block to all good fly casting (and tight loops). I will be practicing this week on the neighbors lawn. I have no doubt that by the end of the five weeks, I will become a better caster.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » April 21st, 2011, 3:36 pm

Jim,
You did fine and if you keep at it, you will improve. It is harder to break bad habits then it is to start fresh.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fflutterffly » April 21st, 2011, 6:48 pm

It looked like everyone had a great time casting along the edges. You have about 4 instructors for every 25 people. Some of them are Masters, some CCI certified and then, like myself, training to take the CCI test. If you have a chance this is worth the time. Imagine there are approx. 140 CCI instructors in the USA, Long Beach has about 7 Masters, all for you to use! O La La! (Mark correct me if I'm wrong please)
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby ldr » April 21st, 2011, 7:51 pm

Hope you had fun, Jim. It is just casting. The better you get, the more fun it is.

Ariel, your stats are a bit off, but your point is spot-on. There are 137 CI's and 23 MCI's (Masters) in CA. However, all MCI's are also CI's, so you all can do the math. Of these, Long Beach is indeed well represented with over 10% of the state's CI's and about 66% of the MCI's. If you were to compare LBCC to a university, you might think Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford...you get the idea.

It's not too late to "come on down."
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby fflutterffly » April 21st, 2011, 8:05 pm

Thanks for the correction ldr. I re-read the post. Again thanks. You all get the idea. And by the way these Masters and CCIs give their time, they are not paid. All I have to do is drive down and they spend as much time as needed helping. Unbelievable bunch those instructors. I know that my casting has improved just in the last 5 weeks. It's a great opportunity for everyone.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information