REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

February Meeting: Fly Fishing Big Bear Lake

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

February Meeting: Fly Fishing Big Bear Lake

Postby Jim T » February 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Our speaker this month will be Keith Kern detailing how to fish Big Bear Lake. Big Bear Lake is only a short drive away but feels like another world. It’s large size and depth presents both challenges and opportunities for the fly fisher. It’s fishable most of the year and holds a large variety of fish. Keith will provide the keys to unlocking it enormous potential.

In addition to learning how to fish the lake, Keith will discuss the history of the lake, types of fish in the lake, lake stratification, wind factors and a photo tour of the lakes best fishing areas. Much of this information is applicable to other lakes, including Crowley Lake, and will help your stillwater fishing everywhere you go.

Keith has fly fished Big Bear Lake for 33 years, guiding professionally for 11 years. His flies are featured in local sporting goods stores throughout Big Bear. He has authored 2 books on DVD: “Fly Fishing Big Bear Lake” and “Fishing Big Bear Lake”, which will be available at the meeting. Keith has extensive experience float tube fishing full sink lines and shared this information via seminars with fly fishing clubs around the Southland. In addition to fishing Big Bear Lake, Keith has over 30 years experience fly fishing the San Bernardino Mtns., Eastern Sierras and the Southern Golden Trout Wilderness. Big Bear area has lots to offer so plan on attending this presentation to make your next trip there more productive.

Meeting is Thursday, February 23rd at 7:00pm at the Long Beach Casting Club Clubhouse.
http://www.longbeachcastingclub.org/
Jim T

Re: February Meeting: Fly Fishing Big Bear Lake

Postby meb » February 20th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Keith is a great guy and guide, and he has Big Bear wired. I always enjoy talking and fishing with him, but I can't make it this Thursday. My loss.

MB
meb

Postby Milt Spawn » February 28th, 2012, 1:21 pm

BigBearKeith put me on this rainbow Sunday. Water temp was 42. This fish jumped twice and even pulled some line. milt. Image
Milt Spawn

Postby johnnhoj » February 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm

:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Postby pescadoslayer » February 29th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Do you guys have Keith Kern's contact number, e-mail or website?

Might be interested in a BBL guide trip.

Thanks
-Roy
pescadoslayer

Postby anacrime » February 29th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Sup Roy 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby pescadoslayer » March 1st, 2012, 9:38 am

anacrime wrote:Sup Roy 8-)

Hey Shane.............. Trying to get dialed in on the local lakes for Stripahs, Smallies, LMB, Panfish and even Carp.

Hoping to make it to the Pasadena Fly Show this Saturday.............. How about you?

Been fishin' lately?

--Roy
pescadoslayer

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information