REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kids Academy Poker Night

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

Kids Academy Poker Night

Postby haramic » November 10th, 2012, 2:48 am

I had a great time at the Kids Academy Poker Night event and it’s such a worthy cause. Funds raised from this event help fund our Kids Academy, where 12 to 15 kids learn the art of fly fishing and conservation. This event is held the night before the SWCFFF Inter-Club Tourney and many of it’s participants also joined in and contributed to our Poker Night. We even had the SWCFFF President buy-in for chips. He did much better this year.

The game is Texas Hold’em and I think some of the players have played before. I was surprises to find our dealer was the owner of the Kern Lodge. Kernville is kind of a small town. We all had a great time, here’s some pics from the event:

The owner of the Kern Lodge with Bill Hammons.

Is that you Antiqueguy?

Freddie with his poker face.

We were even entertained by Guy Jeans (CLICK ON PIC):

Here’s are the winners for the evening:

1st Place Bill Hammons (center) Sage One 4wt.
2nd Place Brad Weich (left) ½ day float trip with Guy
3rd Place Paul Mcllwee (right) Box of flies tyed by the Buhler Bros.

We know who the real winners are………the kids that will attend the 2013 SSFFC Kids Academy. We raised enough funds!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Chiaki
haramic

Re: Kids Academy Poker Night

Postby midger » November 10th, 2012, 7:20 am

Great cause the club supports Chiaki. Gawd knows us gray hairs ain't the future of flyfishing, so I'm sure glad there is a new generation in the pipeline. Everyone involved deserves a big attaboy or attagirl.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Wildman » November 10th, 2012, 9:10 am

Thanks, Chiaki. SFFC has a wonderful program for kids that inspires...teaches basics and beyond and shares the conservation ethic at an early age. They even are pretty much "guaranteed" to catch a decent size fish on the fly. Several of the Addicts members took the time to present their specialties at the last year's event along the Kern. We even had some kids that had been through the Academy themselves come back as instructors. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at last year's Kid's Academy and look forward to presenting again next year. We're working on an enhanced program with something they can take with them and refer to in the future.

Like Midger said....these guys are the future of Fly Fishing.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RiverRat » November 10th, 2012, 11:11 am

Thirty plus poker players, donors, showed up and it was a blast!

We've had the pleasure of teaching 77 new students, plus many parents, in the five years of the KA.
Each year four or five students return to volunteer. That makes me the proudest.....The kids, get it!

Looking forward to next year. The Fly Tying and Conservation programs are being improved as well as making the whole weekend better!

By the way.....It's the volunteers and donors who make the weekend a success :rockon:

Thank You!

Shane
RiverRat

Postby Papasequoia » November 10th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Great job, SSFFC and all involved!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fly addict » November 10th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Shane,
I enjoyed working with the kids last year, and will see you agan next year.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Swanee » November 10th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Did you know that Bill is a professional gambler from Carson City? just kidding ....if he is as competetive at cards as he is at fishing, then he deserves to win. Shane, I'm working on getting some polarized eye protection for the kids next year.
Swanee
Swanee

Postby RiverRat » November 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Swanee wrote:Did you know that Bill is a professional gambler from Carson City? just kidding ....if he is as competetive at cards as he is at fishing, then he deserves to win. Shane, I'm working on getting some polarized eye protection for the kids next year.
Swanee

The Carson bunch had a great weekend.

Bill and Allen are revising the tying program including having stations set up back at camp.

Polarized glasses are a great idea!

thanks

shane
RiverRat

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information