REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

SD Bay Outing - Mar 2-3 (KRFF) and Apr 6-7th (SSFF)

Place any information related to fly fishing club activities here.

SD Bay Outing - Mar 2-3 (KRFF) and Apr 6-7th (SSFF)

Postby RichardCullip » January 3rd, 2013, 7:08 pm

Original date changed to March 2-3 and April 6-7th to avoid Easter Sunday. The original joint club outing has morphed into two separate outings, one for each club. You now have double your chances.

Have you been wanting to get down to San Diego and see for yourself what fishing the bay is all about? If so, there are two opportunities, one in early March and the other early in April. The KRFF (Bakersfield) club is coming down on Mar 2-3 and the SSFF (Kernville) club is coming down on Apr 6-7. Feel free to come and join us for one or both weekends to have fun fishing the bay. Visitors or anyone curious about fly fishing San Diego is welcome to join us. Here are some of the details:

2013 San Diego Bay Outing

Where – Tidelands Park, Coronado Island, San Diego

When – Mar 2-3 (KRFFC) and April 6-7th (SSFFC)

Schedule – Arrive at Tidelands Park at 6AM each day and fish until ~11AM or later if the fish are still biting. Bring your own lunch (or something to share). You will have afternoons and evenings free to enjoy the many delights of San Diego

Equipment – If you have a favorite surf setup, bring it and you will be set to go. I have a couple of spare rods/reels I can lend out if you want to give it a try without investing in new equipment.

Rods – 5-8wt 9ft rods (fighting butts come in handy). I use a 6wt rod.

Reels – Saltwater safe reels. Most fish can be landed by stripping in the line. However, a smooth drag can come in handy if you hook into something big and fast moving.

Lines – Most fish will be caught along the bottom in 8-20ft of water so a fast-sinking line is my first choice. Rio’s Outbound Short lines matched to your rod are popular but, any fast sinking line in the 200-300 grain range will work. Sink-tips in the 24-30ft length are easier to fish than full sink lines but bring what you got if you don't want to buy new lines just for a trip to San Diego.

Leaders – Nothing fancy here. The fish aren’t leader shy. It can be as simple as 6ft of 10lb test (mono or fluoro). I use a slightly fancier leader design when fishing with two flies. It consists of a 3ft length of 20lb test to act as the butt section. This is tied to a small 3-way swivel. The point fly is attached to one arm of the 3-way swivel with 3ft of 10lb test. The dropper fly is attached to the remaining arm of the 3-way swivel with a very short (3-4 inches) length of 15lb test line. This gives an overall leader length of 6ft with the flies separated by ~3 ft. Use your favorite knots to tie everything together. A non-slip mono loop knot is effective for tying on the flies.

Flies – Clousers, buggers, ghost shrimp patterns or surf flies in chartreuse, red, brown or olive. Size 4-6 or bigger if you believe in the Big Fly = Big Fish equation.

Something to float on – Shoreline fishing is very limited so we will get out on the water in something that floats. I use a float tube but you are not limited to that option. Kayaks, pontoons or kickboats can also be effective. SD Harbor Patrol requires the use of a PFD. You don’t have to wear it but that’s a good idea just in case. I use an inflatable one that I can slip on and forget about. Water temperatures will be in the low 60’s so you might be comfortable in waders. I’ll be wet tubing.

Misc – The spotted bay bass, which dominate the catch, have some sharp teeth and lots of ways to stick you. I use needle-nose pliers to help remove the hook. If you have a Boga grip or similar device, bring it along. I’m sure you’ll get a chance to use it. A saltwater Enhancement stamp is needed in addition to your regular fishing license. A Fish/Depth finder can help find fish-holding structure. I use the simplest model offered by Hummingbird (Fishin' Buddy 110). If you don’t have one, don’t sweat it. You can follow me around and I’ll let you how deep the water is and where the structures are.

Questions/Info – Feel free to post your questions here or send me a PM. I'll answer them to the best of my ability
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Re: SD Bay Outing (KRFF and SSFF clubs) - Mar 30-31

Postby Dry Fly Rie » January 4th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Sounds like fun, Richard. My baseball team most likely will be playing on the Saturday, but I'll definitely try and make it for Sunday.

Thanks for posting this!
Dry Fly Rie

Re: SD Bay Outing Mar 2-3 (KRFFC) and Apr 6-7th (SSFFC)

Postby RichardCullip » January 8th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Dry Fly Rie wrote:Sounds like fun, Richard. My baseball team most likely will be playing on the Saturday, but I'll definitely try and make it for Sunday.

Thanks for posting this!

Note the date changes. Now you have two chances to join us on the bay.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to Fly Fishing Club Information