REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly rod set up

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Fly rod set up

Postby Jones » October 22nd, 2013, 8:14 am

I'm new to fly fishing but not fishing. I'm considering the Orvis Access 5wt 8'6" . I would be fishing the Owens and kern, really any where in southern ca. Is this going to be a good set up for this area and type of fishing? Thank you in advance for your input.
Jones

Re: Fly rod set up

Postby silverlaker » October 22nd, 2013, 4:51 pm

I don't have much experience with Orvis rods. However I'm sure someone will chime in. An 8'6" 5wt is a good all around rod though. I typically fish a 9' 4wt for those same waters. If I were buying my first rod I would get a 5wt. Let us know what you settle on.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby stanbery » October 22nd, 2013, 5:00 pm

Orvis is a nice rod but for your first rod you could go a little cheaper such as a redington or a echo rod/kit that will have everything you will need to get started.
Good luck.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Jones » October 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm

Tom, thanks. I'm meant 9' tip flex 5wt access with access reel.

Jones
Jones

Postby midger » October 22nd, 2013, 6:22 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. It's a great place to hang out, read trip reports, and set up fishing dates with folks you've never met. You'll also be able to get lots of tips, etc.

I think a 5 weight rod is great for those waters you mentioned--both smallish rivers. As you are just getting into flyfishing, I'd overline the reel with a 6 weight forward line if that's an option. This will help you load the rod faster and make shorter casts easier for you. Orvis makes some good rods, but so do most of the major makers now. Flyrods today are a lot better than those that were available 20 years ago, and it's actually hard to get a bad rod now.

Enjoy the learning process, but be aware, fly fishing can be addictive.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Dry Fly Rie » October 22nd, 2013, 10:26 pm

Welcome to the site. I picked up a 9 foot 6wt Access about a year ago, and I've been very happy with it and impressed with its versatility. I've used it to throw dries on Hot Creek, weighted clousers in the bay for bass and halibut, and big deer-hair frogs for bass in the pond. It's performed well in all applications. Good luck!
Dry Fly Rie

Postby DrCreek » October 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

5wt is perfect for an up and coming fly fisherman. Enjoy !
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Jones » October 23rd, 2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hope to be practicing soon.

Thanks again,

Todd
Jones

Return to Welcome to FFA!