REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Indianapolis Fly Fishing?

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Indianapolis Fly Fishing?

Postby mhbehnke » October 24th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Hey all!

My name is Matthew. I live Indianapolis. I have a 9 foot 6wt Orvis Clearwater en route to my home for my birthday on Monday the 28th of October. I have fly fished before with my dad's ancient eagle claw when I was 13 or so and loved it. I am making a transition from spinning reel, although I am not ready to give them up yet. I have been reading the forums for a bit and I am really excited to go fishing! This rekindling of my fly fishing need started on the day I proposed to my new fiancé (May). I was kayaking down the Pere Marquette River with my ultra-lite spinning tackle and caught 2 rainbows a brown trout. All were small, but indeed a wonderful experience. There were some guys we passed that allegedly caught a 24 inch rainbow among other things. That is what had me sold on fly fishing again.

I need advice on books to read as well as online information that I can digest. I am planning on tying my own flies soon too, as winter is fast approaching (snow flurries today). When I get this rod I will be going fishing at least once before the weather turns. Any advice on cold weather flies would be appreciated as well. I chose a six weight, because I will be mainly bass fishing. I have seen all this carp jibber jabber and that intrigues me too. I will also being hitting up the Pere Marquette again this spring summer and fall with a new goal in mind ...

My first trout! The last spinning reel fish I will ever post. Sorry bout that
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200718242093005&set=s.516822738371410&type=1&theater

I apparently also do not know how to post pictures on here.
mhbehnke

Re: Indianapolis Fly Fishing?

Postby WanderingBlues » October 24th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Matthew, don't underestimate the info to be found on youtube. There's an amazing volume of stuff out there that's both entertaining and informative. I'd also suggest finding a local fly club.

I made the same transition as you not so many years ago. Now, I can't imagine doing anything but...

Welcome to the site! Feel free to ask as many questions as you can.

Curtis
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!