REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New to forum from Somewhat Great State of Oklahoma

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

New to forum from Somewhat Great State of Oklahoma

Postby 5stringharp » December 10th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Checking in from Southern Oklahoma, live around the Lake Texoma area. Kind of new to fly fishing, have always been a heavy line and rod bass fisherman. Still enjoy, but this fly fishing thing has formed a burning interest in me to learn this grand old sport at the age of 52. 11 days at Yellowstone this past summer did not help the matter?

I have an old Ross Gunnison #2 from years past and a St Croix 8'6" Imperial 5 wt rod.

I will have questions, so please bear with me, I am a quick study though. Have not even began to delve into tying, even though it is fascinating, seems very tedious for these old eyes.

My first question to the forum will be; Learning to cast proficiently, do you recommend a school maybe by Orvis or going to a fly shop and taking lessons or maybe even joining a club? I do not have time to waste by learning the wrong way, got to get the basics down and right the first time. A little more difficult than in most areas, we are not exactly the fly fishing capitol of the world!

Anyway, looking forward to this new adventure.

Thank you one and all.

Harp
5stringharp

Re: New to forum from Somewhat Great State of Oklahoma

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 10th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Harp,

First, welcome aboard!

Good to have new blood. Several of the members i.e. Luc, BriansII, and clee are very adept at catching the warm water species you have in OK.

Another avenue you might look into is traveling east to Arkansas and fishing the White River and it's tributaries for Brown and Rainbow Trout. I believe that there is a fly fishing school on the White, but I can't remember the name of it.

As for pointers, this forum is full of helpful members who will help you out!

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby stanbery » December 10th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Welcome aboard/
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby tattooedflyguy » December 10th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new also and the people here have been great.

Marc W.
tattooedflyguy

Postby lucfish » December 10th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Welcome Harp, good people here. I would suggest if you can, find a good guide or a fly shop that can steer you to someone who casts and/or teaches casting for a living. Get one on one lessons. Do on the water lessons. It will shorten your learning curve 75 percent. The more lessons you take the better you'll get, and practice whenever you can. Good luck in this crazy sport. Luc
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » December 11th, 2015, 9:23 am

I'll be heading thru your area next week on the way to Ft. Riley. Wrong time of year, otherwise I'd join you for some bucketmouths.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!