REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Newbie checking in!

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Newbie checking in!

Postby Joey805 » February 3rd, 2016, 1:25 am

Hey all! Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm a Socal native and have been fishing all my life, both fresh and saltwater but fly fishing is a whole different monster. Been going to the eastern sierra since I was a little kid (38 now) but stuck to spinning gear. Last year I decided to hire a guide and do a half day stillwater trip on Crowley. I fished it on my own for 4 more days after and I'm totally hooked. I have alot to learn still and super excited about it. I need a crash course on fishing the Owens next.

I currently own 3 fly rods/reels, all redington vapen blacks in 4,5 and 6w.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys up there this year. Would love to meet some fellow addicts.

Cheers!
Joey805

Re: Newbie checking in!

Postby FIGHTONSC » February 3rd, 2016, 7:28 am

Welcome aboard Joey!

You've chosen a good site to get started with. The guys and gals here will help you with speeding up the learning curve, along with providing some entertainment and some great pictures of the fly fishing world.

Pull up a stool, we're open 24/7!

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby WanderingBlues » February 3rd, 2016, 8:47 am

Say......... If this is Joey from Get Bent, then welcome aboard, bro! I'm proud to say Get Bent was my original 'online' family when I was heavy into offshore and island fishing. Really, really good folks over there and you've done a great job of making it a decent place to interact (Joey is the Admin for the site).

And that's why you'll like FFA; a lot of the same values- guys getting together and throwing flies, lending a hand in the learning curve, and creating good friendships.

Look forward to seeing you out there, and if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Curtis
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » February 3rd, 2016, 9:52 am

Hey Joey, welcome aboard!

Good folks and good times to be had here.

Looking forward to your posts on your adventures and on the progression of your transformation.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Joey805 » February 3rd, 2016, 11:44 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I've been browsing around here and it looks to be a wealth of great people and information. Looking forward to learning and contributing what little fly fishing info I know so far.

Curtis - It is indeed me, long time no talk my friend. Get Bent is still around but slowed down alot due to social media. Looks like things are going well for you, glad to see you're enjoying retirement.

Been itching to get up to the Upper Owens and take a try at one of those big ones but I'm not a fan of that super cold weather. ;)
Joey805

Postby stanbery » February 3rd, 2016, 6:57 pm

Joey
Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to Welcome to FFA!