REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Re: Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Postby Packer » July 17th, 2016, 4:01 am

[/quote]We are getting to Mammoth on Sept. 18th, staying in a cabin at Tamarack Lodge, doing day trips sightseeing and fishing the Owens. I would like to do Hot Creek Ranch someday.[/quote]
Welcome
In 1976 my sister managed Tamarack. My Union went on strike that year, so I went up there and helped her with condo cleaning, and kicking skinny dippers out of the jacuzzi. Maybe I shouldn't have said that because I think one of them was Papasequoia.
During my frequent free time, I fished every nook and cranny! Including some 1 ft. Wide creeks running through the cow pastures down to Crowley and the Owens.
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Re: Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Postby Jessflyguy » July 17th, 2016, 9:06 am

Packer wrote:
We are getting to Mammoth on Sept. 18th, staying in a cabin at Tamarack Lodge, doing day trips sightseeing and fishing the Owens. I would like to do Hot Creek Ranch someday.[/quote]
Welcome
In 1976 my sister managed Tamarack. My Union went on strike that year, so I went up there and helped her with condo cleaning, and kicking skinny dippers out of the jacuzzi. Maybe I shouldn't have said that because I think one of them was Papasequoia.
During my frequent free time, I fished every nook and cranny! Including some 1 ft. Wide creeks running through the cow pastures down to Crowley and the Owens.[/quote]

Yep, that is the way my summers were in the late 60's. I fished Mammoth Creek from top (just below Twin Lakes, great pool in the falls about 1/4 mile down) to the bottom where it entered Hot Creek. Used to be great fishing above Hot Creek Ranch, just below the Fish Hatchery by the bluffs. It was over fished due to easy access, but during the week was pretty quiet and had nice large Browns in it. The Hatchery took the water in the 70's. We fished just about every inch of the Upper Owens above Benton Crossing, there were even fish in the cattle weirs near where Hot Creek enters the Owens. We walked down into lower Hot Creek at least once per week, the fly fish craze had not gone off yet. Often had the whole canyon to ourselves, of course, except for the many skinny dippers in the hot pools!
Jessflyguy

Previous

Return to Welcome to FFA!