REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Tippet rings

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Tippet rings

Postby Papasequoia » October 27th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I forget who it was that recently told me that they have started using tippet rings - probably someone at the Volcano Party. In any case, while I haven't tried them yet, I found this brief discussion and video interesting enough to make me consider picking some up for a trial run. The video has some good tips, including how not to lose the little buggers when tying a new one on.

http://midcurrent.com/2013/10/27/attaching-tippet-rings-to-leaders/
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Tippet rings

Postby anacrime » October 27th, 2013, 2:35 pm

So is this supposed to be stronger than a double blood / uni knot?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » October 27th, 2013, 3:04 pm

I think the main reason behind it is to make changing tippet easier. Rather than surgeon's knots at various spots on your leader you just pick a spot to tie in the ring then that will always be the tie in point when adding new tippet. :-? Btw, I haven't seen the little gadget he has for cranking tippet/leader material into a small storage container for later disposal - also pretty cool.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tomsakai » October 27th, 2013, 3:06 pm

One big advantage is that you're not continually shortening leaders when you're tying on more tippet. When I used a guide (Eric Hein) in Mammoth a couple weeks ago I noticed that he's using tippet rings to make his nymphing leaders.
tomsakai

Postby KRoberts1 » October 28th, 2013, 7:26 am

They're really nice on nymph rigs and furled butts.

They're also very easy to lose while tying them on. I keep mine on a safety pin, now.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby DrCreek » October 28th, 2013, 8:46 am

One little accidental "nick" or "bump" into your rod while flying through the air and... you can guess the rest.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby fly addict » October 28th, 2013, 9:19 am

DrCreek wrote:One little accidental "nick" or "bump" into your rod while flying through the air and... you can guess the rest.

I think a beadhead nymph would be a lot worse than a 2mm tippet ring when it comes to causing damage to your rod... Here is a tip to keep from hitting your rod with your flies or a tippet ring while casting, lengthen your casting stroke to open up your loop. ;)
I have been using tippet rings for a few years now. I use them on my dryfly leaders and when I’m nymphing also. They will give you a lot more use out of a leader. I use a 6 turn clinch knot on 5x or smaller and a 5 turn clinch on any leader that is heaver. The 2mm rings seem to be the right size for trout fishing. Anglers Image are the ones I use, and they have worked well. I once bought some cheap ones on Ebay that had a sharp edge that cut through my tippets every time. I might have given those to Eric. :doh:
:funnyup:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby anacrime » October 28th, 2013, 9:47 am

^ Thanks, good enough for me to try em.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » October 28th, 2013, 11:58 am

fly addict wrote:. I once bought some cheap ones on Ebay that had a sharp edge that cut through my tippets every time. I might have given those to Eric.

:funnyup: :funnyup:
Benny

Postby RichardCullip » October 28th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I like them when I go trout fishing, especially on my dry fly leaders. As others have said, it makes adding tippet to the leader very easy.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby RSetina » October 28th, 2013, 9:11 pm

I've been using them for years. Can rig without them now. Well I could but I get in a bad mood. ;) I have a bunch on hand all the time and I highly recommend them. It's so easy to change tippet and the nice thing is you never cut the leader unless you break off at the ring.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby planettrout » October 29th, 2013, 8:40 am

I have been using these for a least the last eleven years. One does not burn through leaders using these to attach tippet material and I have yet to ding any of my rods with them:

...keep the rings on the gizmo when attaching it to the leader, then slip it off...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby AZWanderings » October 30th, 2013, 11:51 am

I use them on my furled leaders. Makes it so easy to change tippet and does not impact the cast or "floatability" of the leader.

Ben
AZWanderings

Postby meb » November 2nd, 2013, 11:54 am

I used to use them when I saltwater fished. I would tie the heaviest part of a leader using Maxima ending at a ring, and I would use cheap fluorocarbon as the tippet. Seemed to work really well, since tippets take such a beating at the beach.

MB
meb

Postby FlyKastr » April 23rd, 2016, 6:12 pm

I apologize for resurrecting this older post, but I’ve got some questions for adding tippet rings onto tapered leaders. I’d really appreciate any advice that you could pass along.

Does one simply cut off a couple feet to add the tippet ring or is it best to actually locate where the taper ends and cut the leader there?

2mm OD is a common trout size. Does anyone use smaller of larger diameters than this?

Lastly, it’s unclear if Rio or Anglers Image tippet rings are stainless steel. Does anyone use these brands for salt water leaders?
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Next

Return to Gear Review