REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Tacky Fly Box

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Tacky Fly Box

Postby silverlaker » March 5th, 2014, 11:53 pm

This looks interesting. I wonder if the offset and the teardrop shape would keep me from disturbing all the neighboring flies when pulling one out of the box. Maybe easier to grab?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... way-to-hol
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: Tacky Fly Box

Postby midger » March 6th, 2014, 10:00 am

I don't know about the box but the kickstarter process was interesting to follow. I read through the Tacky Box blog and it's pretty interesting. Also nice that they are producing the box domestically and not offshoring production--I'd purchase it for that reason alone and will buy a couple after they hit the shelves. The guy's fly pattern is also one that would definitely catch fish. Thanks for sharing this.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Jimbo Roberts » March 6th, 2014, 12:01 pm

It actually looks pretty good.
I have shied away from foam boxes because of my friends telling me about flys falling out of their slots and loosing them when opening or closing up the box. Silicon rubber use instead of foam is a great idea. I think I will look for these boxes when they hit the market.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Baughb » March 26th, 2015, 9:06 am

Got one just recently. Doesn't suck, stays closed pretty well, not waterproof, slender but doesn't crush most reasonable sized dries.
Replaced my "day's worth" Cliff box, small one with it.
Mary Poppin's purse is what I need in a flybox.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Return to Gear Review