REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wilderness Lite Float Tube

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Wilderness Lite Float Tube

Postby McFlyfi » March 12th, 2014, 9:42 pm

After months of trying to find an "ultralight" float tube, I've found just the thing- The Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro. Purported by it's manufacturer to weigh in at 3.8 lbs, it appears to be a fully featured tube based on the old Wood River GlideRider boats.

I've actually had it since November, and have taken it out on Lake Isabella over New Year's weekend. I haven't actually fished it yet, but based on what I've seen, this thing is a winner.

You remember the Idiot Lakes trip? We took an ancient round Caddis float tube along with a full sized bicycle pump to inflate it. It was worth it, but I got to thinking, "There's got to be something better..."

Well, this is it. Full sized V-boat, two side pockets, large back/top pocket, inflatable backrest, apron, D-rings, grab handle...all at the manufacturer's listed weight of 3.8lbs (per my scale).

This is not some stripped down, junky tube either. I was expecting more of a "home made" quality to it, but this is a very nicely designed and manufactured tube, built right here in the U S of A.

I went ahead and created a short video review- if you want to check it out, it's on my youtube channel, and referenced in the Photo/Video Share section on this board as well.

The Pro's:
Light weight! I also just got a Creek Company UDC 420 Ultralight that purports to be under 8lbs. Not even close- Over 9 on my scale. The Backpacker Pro is an honest 3.8 lbs.
Packable! Rolls up into a small sleeping bag stuff sack with no problem. I think if I separate the bladder from the skin, I can get it even smaller.
Functional! Pockets, d-rings, stripping apron, this tube is not wanting in amenities.
Can be blown up by mouth, or by a small balloon pump. No more carrying a pound-and-a-half bicycle pump.

The Con's:
The only con I can come up with is that I think it could be lighter. Leaving off the pockets and the backrest would still give you a functional float tube, and would probably be around a pound lighter.
Hey Wilderness Lite, if you want to make a stripped down, Micro Lite version (no pockets/backrest) I want to be first in line!

If you're in the market for a float tube and you plan on carrying it more than a couple hundred yards from your vehicle, check this one out, it's worth a look.
http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/
McFlyfi

Re: Wilderness Lite Float Tube

Postby RichardCullip » March 12th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great lightweight tube.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Papasequoia » March 12th, 2014, 10:28 pm

My guess is that some of the GTW crowd is going to take a look at your review and start saving their pennies. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby McFlyfi » March 12th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Papasequoia wrote:My guess is that some of the GTW crowd is going to take a look at your review and start saving their pennies. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Perfect for that drainage...and beyond.
McFlyfi

Postby midger » March 13th, 2014, 6:06 am

Now that was a good review, and it sets a new standard for reviews. Thanks.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BrownBear » March 13th, 2014, 6:34 am

McFlyfi wrote:...and you plan on carrying it more than a couple hundred yards from your vehicle....

That's worth highlighting. It's a bunch easier to walk the quarter or half mile along a lake shore before getting into the water, rather than climbing in and kicking that far. Wind comes up from the wrong direction? Kick to the beach and walk back.

If my wife see's this, she's going to be punching the BUY button. She absolutely hates long distance kicks.
BrownBear

Postby Gary C. » March 13th, 2014, 7:18 am

Matt, great job on the review of what looks like a very nice pack tube. Without a cross bar or foam seat it seems like the sides would fold around you but it dose'nt look like it is in the video. Was that a problem?
Gary C.

Postby McFlyfi » March 13th, 2014, 8:09 am

Gary C. wrote:Matt, great job on the review of what looks like a very nice pack tube. Without a cross bar or foam seat it seems like the sides would fold around you but it dose'nt look like it is in the video. Was that a problem?

There is a bit (maybe a 1/2" to 1"?) of inward sag, but not a whole lot. If you get it "fully" inflated, it's pretty rigid.
McFlyfi

Postby BrownBear » March 13th, 2014, 8:42 am

My experience is a 10+ years with the Wood River Stealthrider, which also has no crossbar. In that case you're sitting far forward enough that your butt helps keep the sides from squeezing in. Never an issue. I assume the same for this model.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » March 13th, 2014, 9:41 am

Thanks for the review and info on Wilderness Float Tubes. That is a VERY light float tube!

If you have the time and interest, read this long thread about a DIY project on a ultralight float tube. I haven't kept up with it, but it looks like he might be selling his versions now. Looks like he even made ultralight/packable waders to use!?!?

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread. ... ect/page22

I have had a few U and V shaped tubes that did not have a crossbar. There is very little sag, or squeezing of the two sides. I also had one float tube with a crossbar. I didn't like it because you had to undo it every time you got in and out. By far, I like the Wood River tubes over other similar(sit in the water) designs.

briansII
briansII

Postby McFlyfi » March 13th, 2014, 10:14 am

I found that thread last July- It took me a long while to read it, but it is well worth the read to see the tube from conception to finished product and in use. The guy creating that tube is an engineering genius IMHO.
I am trying to secure one from him as well, but I fear I might be too late...
McFlyfi

Postby rkfiske » March 13th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Your video was really nice! Thanks, that's a pretty cool float tube!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby WildernessLite » June 19th, 2018, 3:02 pm

FYI...since McFlyfi posted his initial review this float tube has been further optimized--down to 3.4 pound total weight, fits in a 9L mesh stuff sack (15" longx7" diameter), an improved more comfortable & non-slip textured seat, added Velcro clamp on left front for securing fishing net, and more durable straps for the stripping apron....the mesh stuff sack and a 3.6 oz double action inflation pump that fills both bladders in 5 to 6 minutes are included
WildernessLite

Return to Gear Review