REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

In praise of the otter box

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

In praise of the otter box

Postby tenandtwo » April 2nd, 2014, 12:15 am

So here I am with the wife and kids out of state in the middle of our spring break vacation that for the most part has nothing to do with fly fishing.

However, I purchased a one day license and had a few hours alone the other day to fish in a new place.

A couple years ago I bought a waterproof camera for fishing trips - I did not bring that camera. I only had my phone and used it to take photos...

I hooked my first fish pretty soon and when I brought it in I grabbed the leader and snapped off a few shots of it in the stream, the "best"of these photos.

I looked at them quickly and realized that the water was reflecting sun glare and my fly line was a tangled mess in all of them so I picked it up and quickly snapped this one -

Well I normally would not have cared so much but it was my first fish in a new spot so I wanted a good photo. I should have put the phone back in my pocket now, but like a complete dumbass, I set it on the rock next to me. I released the fish, then turned and saw my phone had slid off the rock and was about 12" under water sitting at the bottom of the stream.

Oh crap!

I snatched it out and frantically removed the otter box case and started wiping it dry on my t shirt. I am about 11 months into my two year contract and was sure I just really f-ed up. I turned it on - it worked!

I could not believe it! I took out toilet paper from my pack and wrapped my phone up trying to get moisture out of the speaker, headphone jack, power port etc, and put it in my pack.

Whew- I kept on fishing but no more photos today. My phone is fine this report was done using it. I cannot recommend otter box highly enough, it does not claim to be waterproof but I am pretty sure it saved me here.

Sent from my iPhone
tenandtwo

Re: In praise of the otter box

Postby midger » April 2nd, 2014, 8:07 am

Great report and really nice looking water. Glad your phone survived the swim.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » April 2nd, 2014, 11:13 am

That's a really good looking creek, and the inhabitants aren't 1/2 bad either.

I had a quick dunking with my phone that had no protective cover. I immediately shut it down, then pulled the back cover/battery out, and let it dry for a full day. It worked fine afterwards.

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » April 2nd, 2014, 6:26 pm

I agree, a very pretty creek indeed, hey is that the H&H 3wt. you got a while back ?

Glad to hear the phone survived.....I solved that problem, I don't carry a cell phone!
I just need to wear a HARD HAT! :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Devinpreston » April 7th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I have dropped my share of phones in the water! Glad to see yours made it.
Devinpreston

Return to Gear Review