REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Echo Glass

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Echo Glass

Postby WanderingBlues » July 22nd, 2014, 8:29 pm

Maybe I was optimistic the local blue lines would come around? Maybe I was bored? Whatever the case, I found myself wanting to get into the glass game. I recently had purchased an Echo set up for my son and was impressed at the quality for the price point. So, I was intrigued when I found out they were offering glass for 2014.

I went down to the 'local' flyshop to flog their pavement with the Echo Glass, Orvis Superfine Glass, and the Redington Butterstick, all in 3 & 5wt. The Echo was faster than the other selections, although infinitely slower than my normal Sage TXL or One rods. The Orvis was smooth, and slower. It was a beauty of a rod, but much more expensive than the Echo ($395 vs $199). And, I wasn't real comfortable with developing a casting stroke for the system. The Redington, at $249, IMHO, was a lifeless noodle that felt heavy.

I ended up walking out with the Echo 3wt mated to an Echo Ion reel. Basically, for $280 +line, you get an affordable glass system that does well for blue line fly fishing. The blank is a pleasant "Golden Carmel" color. I've nicknamed mine "Blondie." Wraps are a complimentary olive color. The cork, while not top of the line, is still a good grade reversed half wells with a down locking reel seat in brushed nickle. Throw in chrome snake guides and alignment dots, and a codura case, and it's a winner on looks alone.

On the water, it loads with as little as a foot of fly line out. Mine is line with 3wt Rio Trout LT. Dry presentations are as delicate as you need. Ive gotten out about 40' without much issue and have not tried to go further as, at 6'9". it's not really made for that function.

I've thrown a double nymph rig with it and it handles it, though you can feel that it's less than perfect for this type of fishing. But, if the fish are feeding under, feel comfortable in knowing it can get the job done.

On the fight, the rod is just plain fun. It's very sensitive. Once the hook is set, a 10" wild fish will feel brilliant. Largest to date for me has been about 15" (in current), and it was a blast.

To sum it up, "affordable glass makes your blue lining a whole lot of fun...."
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Echo Glass

Postby atomicfly » July 27th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I like how they chose to use a down-locking reel seat.

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby briansII » July 31st, 2014, 11:57 am

Thanks for the review! That's a good looking rod. Word on the street is, Echo will be coming out with a glass two hander.

I see this beer a lot in your posts. Take a liking to it, or using up inventory? ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby WanderingBlues » August 1st, 2014, 10:04 am

briansII wrote:
I see this beer a lot in your posts. Take a liking to it, or using up inventory? ;)

briansII

It's the 'go-to' brew for a day on the water, unless something interesting tickles the fancy. ;)
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Gear Review