REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Loop Speedrunner

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Loop Speedrunner

Postby 209er » August 3rd, 2014, 9:59 am

Hello,
I got into bluewater in the spring of '97 buying Sages and Pates then Tibors. Then in mid 2000 bought a few more Tibors and in 2012 I picked up a Loop Speedrunner 7/9 that has a huge arbor. It's actually as big as a Tibor Pacific but a shade smaller than a Pate Bluefin (which I have three of)! I may have moved into briansII gear realm(lol).
Anyway to get to my gripe: I cannot get enough drag pressure even on smaller dorado than I would like. Maybe I'm used to the Tibor's "stop a train drag?" Even cranked all the way down the reel could use more. Maybe I'm asking too much? If I got into 25/30lb dorado I'd be in trouble. Let me hear from those of you who have the Speedrunner. BTW, this reel is used on a 10wt rig with 250yds gelspun and full 10wt OBS int line. 209er
209er

Re: Loop Speedrunner

Postby lucfish » August 4th, 2014, 11:04 am

I don't have the reel in question but had the same problem with Sage reels and Tarpon. Ended up using the Tibors, that reel drag can stop a train!!!
lucfish

Postby BrownBear » August 4th, 2014, 11:24 am

I wish I could recall more from a past conversation, but about a year ago I heard a Loop owner instructing another in how to adjust the range of the drag on a Loop reel. I know it required disassembly, but that's the limit of my powers of recall. Anyone else heard of such a thing?
BrownBear

Postby briansII » August 4th, 2014, 1:31 pm

You have 3 Pate Bluefins?!?! You're not right in the head! ;) ;)

I think you can have the drag ranged tightened up, but my understanding was it needs to go back to the manufacturer. Hopefully that means Loop USA, and not Sweden. FWIW, my Nautilus reels don't tighten way down. It's ok for me, but I don't fish the salt and super hard pullers. If I did, I can send them back to the factory and they can increase drag pressure.

This reel advertises 14 lbs of drag pressure. It's sister reel can be modified at the factory to 18 lbs. That's a LOT of drag pressure for a fly reel. :oo:

http://www.coltonfly.com/terrapin-fly-reel.php

I think many folks would be surprised at how little max drag pressure their reels have. After all, who cranks their drags all the way to max, and pulls line off. For that matter, who needs more than 5lb of drag.... not counting the salt guys.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » August 4th, 2014, 2:24 pm

briansII wrote:This reel advertises 14 lbs of drag pressure. It's sister reel can be modified at the factory to 18 lbs. That's a LOT of drag pressure for a fly reel.

Man, if they're measuring that simply using a scale to peel line off the reel, it's waaaaaaaaaay too much for fly fishing even with 20# tippets. Depending on who you listen to, drag resistance measured by pulling on a scale should only be around 25-35% of tippet strength. Doesn't sound like much until you actually try it. I sincerely doubt you'll be hand-pulling 100' of line off a 14# drag setting (and especially not 18#) prior to a cast without having to back the drag off a lot before you're through.

Last time I tarpon fished the guide used a scale to set the drag on my 14WT and 20# tippet, and I HATED pulling line off the reel. If I recall correctly he had set it at 10# and cautioned that I'd have to back it off a lot before the fish got out to 100 yards.
BrownBear

Postby 209er » August 5th, 2014, 7:11 am

briansII,
Yes I have three Bluefins, 6 ARs, 3 AR10s, and a Cobra. I didn't say I was smart! ;) They're not rigged the Bluefins just sit there looking pretty along with a small Ballan! I realize I may be asking too much from this Speedrunner as it might have 6-7lbs drag fully screwed down. Just a guess haven't measured it but when a 15lb dorado easily peels line 3/4 screwed down I need more. Haven't got into tuna with this reel yet but I'm sure the shortcomings would raise it's ugly head. I will have to inquire at Loop on how to get more 'cause I enjoy using this reel and it looks awesome. Thanks for your suggestions you and Brownbear. 209er
209er

Postby stanbery » August 5th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Check link out
Around 4.3 minutes it starts to talk about the drag.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby 209er » August 6th, 2014, 7:43 am

Hey Jon,
Thanks for the timely vid!! Uuh but as I watch I'm slowly thinking there's too many little washers that have to go in front of this cap in chronological order. I know my abilities and I will not try it. :oo: I will have to contact Loop. I do appreciate your vid and may you find all the 223 match ammo you can use. :bananadance: Thanks again, 209er
209er

Postby briansII » August 6th, 2014, 8:45 am

209er wrote:Hey Jon,
Thanks for the timely vid!! Uuh but as I watch I'm slowly thinking there's too many little washers that have to go in front of this cap in chronological order. I know my abilities and I will not try it. :oo: I will have to contact Loop. I do appreciate your vid and may you find all the 223 match ammo you can use. :bananadance: Thanks again, 209er

That's a great video!

Cliff, I understand your concern, but I don't think you need to take the reel completely apart. Starting at approx. 4:20 of the video is all you need to do to adjust the amount of drag you want on your reel. Basically take the spool off, then the drag knob cap. Adjust for minimum drag pressure with the * under the cap.....as per video. It LOOKS pretty simple, but Murphy's Law is always hanging around to get ya. ;)

I'm surprised this reel only has two friction washers. I'm sure it's plenty, but with all the high tech reels touting multi stacked washers, I wonder why they didn't throw in a couple more. :oo: Nice that it does have a bearing on each end of the drawbar.

briansII
briansII

Postby 209er » August 6th, 2014, 9:41 am

Hey briansII,
You're only 6o miles away, would you give it go?? :bananadance: Like I said, I know my shortcomings. I can't even put a picture up here and don't wanna learn. Whadda ya say? I'll even bring a brew!! Budlite ok? LOL
209er

Postby 209er » August 6th, 2014, 10:19 am

Hey briansII,
15 minute update: I looked in the Loop box and lo and behold there's an allen wrench and directions to adjust brake!!!!!!!!!! :doh: The blowup looks easy enough even for me! ;) Let me tinker......
209er

Postby briansII » August 6th, 2014, 10:44 am

209er wrote:Hey briansII,
You're only 6o miles away, would you give it go?? :bananadance: Like I said, I know my shortcomings. I can't even put a picture up here and don't wanna learn. Whadda ya say? I'll even bring a brew!! Budlite ok? LOL

Since you found the destructions on how to do it, I guess i'll miss out on that Bud lite? :cry: :cry: If you bring it to me in 100 pieces to put back together, it'll cost you a bud lite and a Dutch Master. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby 209er » August 6th, 2014, 11:05 am

Hey all,
My r&d department successfully adjusted the drag to tighter dimensions! :bananadance: Thanks for the encouraging words briansII and for the vid Jon. At least now you won't have to choke down Budlite!!!!! I know for a fact that feller in Strathmore loves the stuff! He'll even take a DutchMaster! :roll: 209er
209er

Return to Gear Review