REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bass Rod Trifecta

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: Bass Rod Trifecta

Postby Papasequoia » February 25th, 2016, 2:06 pm

flybob wrote:Nice Jon!

Now you just need to set it up with nice LARGE Arbor reel and you will be good to go!

Yeah, I already have one of those - the one I used on the 8wt I have for sale in the for sale or trade section. I have one empty spare spool for that and will be loading that bass line onto it. Then all I need to do is move to the southeastern US and buy a big shiny bass boat. Oh, and some cheap beer. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » March 4th, 2016, 10:20 pm

I have the smallmouth version but I don't use a floating line with it. I use the slow sink clear, about 11/2" per second , loads up fine can handle big fish. Will be using it tomorrow.
lucfish

Postby flybob » April 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

So Brian, any update on the performance of the St. Croix Mojo rod?

I am just a bit curious.....
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby briansII » April 12th, 2016, 2:09 pm

flybob wrote:So Brian, any update on the performance of the St. Croix Mojo rod?

No on the water experience yet Bob. I'm thinking about a Delta trip this weekend, but the water temps are still a bit cool for topwater. I did a little bit a couple weeks ago for nadda. Barring a cold front moving in, by the first part of May I'll have something to report.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » April 18th, 2016, 12:52 pm

briansII wrote:

No on the water experience yet Bob. I'm thinking about a Delta trip this weekend, but the water temps are still a bit cool for topwater. I did a little bit a couple weeks ago for nadda. Barring a cold front moving in, by the first part of May I'll have something to report.

briansII

So I did get out this weekend, but not to the Delta. I stayed local, and took the St Croix Mojo Bass with me. I got a little fishing time in on the rod Sat AM, with no interest from the fishes. I chose a calm part of the lake to try the rod, vs a more fishy, but windy area. The rod cast a small-ish slider great. I'm used to faster rods, but once I slowed down, the rod did everything well. I can tell I'll need to slow down even further with bigger flies, but I'm sure the rod will be a great performer. Proof is in the pudding. I'll be at the Delta with big flies tied on in a couple weeks. More reports to come.

Non fly caught, post spawn bass. The green stuff is a typical algae bloom at the lake.

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » April 18th, 2016, 5:43 pm

OILY CRAP!

NICE BASS!

And thanks for the evaluation, for around $160.00 seems like not a bad deal.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby briansII » May 2nd, 2016, 9:37 am

Update. Spent a little more time with the rod this weekend. Still no fish caught with the rod, but I did fish a large-ish Gurgler yesterday. I found the softer tip on this rod requires me to change timing, and double haul to get the best results. For me, and my casting preference, the tip does not react well with a big fly, and a extra heavy line like the Sage LMB line. If I do not haul, it feels sluggish to me. Once I add a haul in, the lower section of the blank comes into play, and the rod comes alive. Even dealing with some wind, it casts well as long as I haul. Switching to the Sage LMB rod highlighted the difference in tip stiffness. I think the 390 grain LMB line might be a bit much for the 9wt, Mojo Bass rod. Maybe the Smallmouth Bass Line, or a lighter bass taper would liven it up a bit. More testing and fishing to come......

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » May 2nd, 2016, 9:45 am

Thanks Brian!

Very good to know, since I cannot DH!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby briansII » June 5th, 2017, 8:43 am

briansII wrote:

Update. Spent a little more time with the rod this weekend. Still no fish caught with the rod, but I did fish a large-ish Gurgler yesterday. I found the softer tip on this rod requires me to change timing, and double haul to get the best results. For me, and my casting preference, the tip does not react well with a big fly, and a extra heavy line like the Sage LMB line. If I do not haul, it feels sluggish to me. Once I add a haul in, the lower section of the blank comes into play, and the rod comes alive. Even dealing with some wind, it casts well as long as I haul. Switching to the Sage LMB rod highlighted the difference in tip stiffness. I think the 390 grain LMB line might be a bit much for the 9wt, Mojo Bass rod. Maybe the Smallmouth Bass Line, or a lighter bass taper would liven it up a bit. More testing and fishing to come......

briansII

Final installment.

Fished the St Croix rod for a morning session, and the results were not satisfying. As I found out above, the soft tip is not good with a fat tapered line and heavy/big popper. I could get the popper mostly where I wanted it, but it was more work than I'm used to. I gave it a fair shot. Stuck with it most of the morning, but in the end, I wished I tied that popper on another rod. I also wasn't happy when I went to set the hook. More tip flex than I care for.

For lighter, and smaller bugs, it's a fine casting rod.

The Sage, and Redignton get an A grade. I'm happy to fish either, and they flat get the job done......well, that is when I do my job. I missed a LOT of fish last weekend. :doh:

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to Gear Review