REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

SIMMS Freestone or Redington Sonic Pro

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Postby DubL HauL » January 30th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Thinking about replacing the old Hodgman's. I was planning on checking out Redington Sonic Pro but the shop(s) don't seem to carry them or the size I think I might fit but they have SIMMS Freestone. Before I make the drive anyone have pro and cons they'd like to share?
DubL HauL

Re: SIMMS Freestone or Redington Sonic Pro

Postby clee » January 30th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Neither. If you look hard enough last year's Simms headwaters are on sale for roughly the same price or cheaper than the freestone. Headwaters are goretex and US made.
clee

Postby tomsakai » January 30th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Andy, check these out:

http://www.mrfc.com/clearance/wading-gear/

I haven't bought waders from them but have bought other items and been very satisfied with their service.
tomsakai

Postby fly addict » January 30th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Andy,
I have a pair of Sonic pro pants that I have used for several years without any problems. I also have a pair of Simms G3 waders that are 12 years old and have a ton of use and are still going strong. I did have Simms do some repairs on them last year. Simms repair service is great and they stand behind their products.They really rebuilt my waders with new booties, re-sealed the seams, fixed all the pinholes and replaced the shoulder straps for $75 including shipping. They are like new again. I think the Simms are more comfortable and fit better overall. Go to a shop that has both in stock and try them on, then decide which you like best. Eather will be a lot better than your old Hodgmans.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby DubL HauL » January 31st, 2017, 8:26 am

Thanks for the input fella's Tom those were some great sales! I like my SIMMS boots and they have been good about replacing the soles so that is definitely a consideration.
DubL HauL

Postby Wildman » January 31st, 2017, 9:12 am

Certainly buy what you can afford....both you mentioned are good products. I have what became the Freestone waders and have used them for almost four years now and love them. I had a cheaper pair for a number of years that I sent in and they gave me these on a warranty for no cost. I really have no complaints and I don't pamper them.
I will continue to buy Simms because of the good warranty experience I have had but Redington has a similar program as well.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Papasequoia » February 1st, 2017, 11:50 am

I had a different experience with Simms repair service-very negative. I'll never buy their waders again. I switched to Redington and love them. The zipper is a nice addition too. Just my .02
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby DubL HauL » February 2nd, 2017, 6:02 pm

Papa I hear you on the zipper, my hodgmans have one and I've gotten used to the convenience. So much easier to meet relief.
DubL HauL

Postby atomicfly » March 3rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

Try the waders on first of course, it may be a moot point. I always thought, in the back of my mind, that at some point I would go down the Simms-hole for waders, but when they were closing out the Blackfoot model, I found none of the sizes fit me well. Legs were too tight for comfort. when the legs fit well, the waders were too long and big. I even tried their top of the line model plus the Freestones i think, just to double check. Nope.

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby Rasputinj » March 3rd, 2017, 8:06 pm

I have both Sonic and Simms wading pants. The sonic pants are a little thinner. It is better in the summer but not as good for bush walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Return to Gear Review