REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Colorblind test

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Colorblind test

Postby Papasequoia » February 7th, 2017, 12:49 am

If you are colorblind you probably already know it. What you may not know is that there is a company that makes glasses and sunglasses that will correct it in about 75% of people. Their website (http://enchroma.com/) can answer a lot more of your questions than I can here, so if you or someone you knows is colorblind you may want to direct them there. 1 in 12 men are colorblind (1 in 200 women), so chances are you know someone.

Briefly it works by filtering the wavelengths of light that enter the eye. Lots of explanation on the website, plus testimonials including videos of people breaking into tears as they see real color for the first time. The glasses are expensive, but I think most colorblind people would find it worth it, AND there is a 60 day money back guarantee.

There is a section on the website where you can test yourself and see what kind of colorblindness you have. Here is a copy of one of them. In the picture below, both sides look absolutely, 100% the same. No variance at all. None.

No difference to me - not even the most subtle shade of difference. My wife just shakes her head in pity and says there are big differences. So, I ordered a pair (something like 350 bucks), hands trembling with anticipation I tried them on. Nothing. Wore them for a couple of hours on more than one occasion. Still nothing. That's the bad news. The good news is that good to their word I got all of my money back.

Anyway, I wanted to pass that along. I am back to using index cards to tell all of the flies in my box apart and asking my wife if the light is still red or has turned to green on the battery charger. Sigh. But hopefully these will work for one of you or someone you know.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Colorblind test

Postby Gary C. » February 7th, 2017, 2:53 am

Sorry it didn't work for you Jon. Maybe they will come up with a different type of filter that will help you.
Gary C.

Postby acorad » February 7th, 2017, 8:47 am

M son also is colorblind, the tests on the website said their glasses probably would not work very well for him so we passed.

Andy
acorad

Postby flybob » February 13th, 2017, 11:45 am

Jon, for someone who is color blind, for what its worth, you are still one * of a fisherman!
And you have a great "fly identification" system!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby 209er » February 14th, 2017, 9:30 am

I too am colorblind, so much so that if I lost the label to a pack of dubbing I might as well threw it away! :oo: Problem solved when my house went up in flames Mothers Day 2005! I said * it and never replaced my stuff. I still have to remember green is on the bottom of traffic lights! BUT, what really hurt was the destruction of my four racing Bultacos!!!! :fireangry: 209er
209er

Postby fly addict » February 14th, 2017, 10:47 am

209er wrote:I too am colorblind, so much so that if I lost the label to a pack of dubbing I might as well threw it away! :oo: Problem solved when my house went up in flames Mothers Day 2005! I said * it and never replaced my stuff. I still have to remember green is on the bottom of traffic lights! BUT, what really hurt was the destruction of my four racing Bultacos!!!! :fireangry: 209er

That really sucks. :sad:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby 209er » February 14th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Sure did, a 135, 2 146s, and a 207! Starts to hurt all over again. :fireangry: But all were replaced except the 207 and tomorrow I'm picking up a 77 Ossa ST1!! Yippee! Waited 40 years. :bananadance: 09er
209er

Postby fly addict » February 15th, 2017, 8:36 am

I had a hand me down from my dad Bultaco Matador 200 when I was 13 years old. I could not get both feet on the ground. He bought a new 250 Pursang.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Jimbo Roberts » February 26th, 2017, 7:12 pm

I raced a Honda Elsinore 125 for two years back in 72 and 73. It was such a blast to ride and competitive right off the showroom floor. I was up in the front of the pack mostly with it around the tracks in central Texas. I sold it to buy a new 74 Ford Capri 2800. I never got back to racing on the dirt, but finally bought a new 77 Kawasaki 650 Custom which I tricked out and ruled the back roads during the nighttime. I still remember the sparks light up the night from dragging the pegs.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Ants » March 1st, 2017, 6:31 pm

Jon,
To respect your starting this thread, sorry that the enhancement option wasn't more useful. The index system probably pays big dividends. My fly selection practices follow attractor patterns, but fly color and size are probably down the list for priorities.

Now - back to the hijacking on this thread. Sorry to read about losses, but insurance coverage is a good thing. I had a choice when I left college and got a job to spend money on a boat or motorcycle. It seems at least one person in every motorcycle shop was limping, so the sailboat won out as the money pit. When I bought a place in the Sierra's, the motorcycle gene was activated again. Of course, that means the bikes picked up in the 50-70 time period when I stopped. The Ossa's would be fun. Glad the replacement plan on the bike satisfied.

Ants
Ants

Return to Gear Review