REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Redington Vice

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Redington Vice

Postby DrCreek » July 3rd, 2017, 8:47 am

Just bought one. A 9' 7wt for the salt. What drove me to this rod was my latest slew of "tugs" that took my soft 6wt Echo over the edge and bent me in half. I felt totally undergunned. I have a St Croix 6/7 that is nice, but its also a med/fast - more toward the soft side - rod. I've had a couple of good sized doubles on it, and it also behaves like the Echo. So off to my local shop I went in search of...

I didn't feel the need to spend 300 or more on something that is going to basically get covered in acid every trip - even though I religiously rinse, clean and wax all my components after every outing. I researched alot prior to making a decision on rods that I wanted to look at. All the reports have been great for the Vice rod. I gave it a test drive in their driveway during a moderate 15mph breeze coming off the ocean. No idea what I was doing, but I know I was able to cast it about 50' and I felt comfortable doing so.

Pulled the trigger. 200 bucks. A light Irish-green blank with nice saltwater-safe black anodized hardware all the way around. I wish the uplocking ring and reel foot weren't made of such a light aluminum, but it works for my needs. What I really like about it is the full wells grip - its not bulky. In fact, its smaller diameter than any other full wells grip I've ever held onto - and the cork edge has been rounded nice and smooth just behind the hook keeper. It fits my hand beautifully.

Hoping The Master comes up with a good plan for Wednesdays session. I cant wait to try it out. Still not sure why I wrote this little story.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Return to Gear Review