REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Anyone tried this sonar device?

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Anyone tried this sonar device?

Postby Ants » July 31st, 2017, 6:47 pm

https://deepersonar.com/en

For about $100 for the cheapest version, this tennis ball sized device can be cast / drifted to a location and bottom depth, shape, and other fish finding applications. The sending unit sends a wifi signal to a smart phone (app required) to display the results.

I can think of a lot of location on my local river where I would be happy to know if the holes are 6-feet or 20-some feet deep.

In the past, this curiosity would have tempted me to put on mask and fins and snorkel under low flow conditions. It seems portable technology may keep me out of the water.

Has anyone bought one of these devices and used it? Comments would be grand.

Ants
Ants

Re: Anyone tried this sonar device?

Postby stanbery » August 1st, 2017, 8:50 pm

Ants
Looks pretty cool but I am of no help.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Re: Anyone tried this sonar device?

Postby briansII » August 2nd, 2017, 8:45 am

Hi Ants,

There was a brief discussion about it a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13122

I think if all you want to do is check depth, it should work ok. IMHO, the biggest benefit of a device like this is it's small size, and integration to your phone. You won't get high quality sonar readings, but I don't think that's what you're looking for anyway. It *should* give you reasonably accurate depth readings, but I don't have any experience with these sort of devices. BTW, similar units have been around for years.

briansII
briansII

Return to Gear Review