REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Looking for a New #3wt

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Looking for a New #3wt

Postby rayfound » August 10th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I've never been a rod-collector. I fish my Sage TXL #00 for basically all small water, and my TFO Finesse 8'9" 3wt for any larger lakes/rivers/etc... since the size/weight is pretty versatile, it has become my goto rod.

But it has a problem. I hate it.

I have always hated casting it. I find it somewhat broomsticky, heavy, and dull to cast. Every time I pick up my TXL i remember how much of a joy it is to cast. I want that feeling with my 3wt too. (I also need to add a 5/6wt to my quiver...Have an 8wt for bass and salt... which basically never gets used).

I don't want to pay new-sage prices, but I am open to looking at deals for used, or whatever... just not sure what anyone would recommend. Would like to be in the 8'6"-9'6" range, ideally reasonably packable for backpacking, versatile enough to toss dries, nymphs, etc....

Probably happy to spend $250-$300ish.

Any thoughts?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: Looking for a New #3wt

Postby NorcalBob » August 10th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Amongst the many rods in my quiver, one of my favorites is my Scott G2 8'8" 3 wt. It is a medium action graphite rod that is fairly light in weight, and is a joy to toss dry flies with. You may want to try Ebay or the used market, as unfortunately, there is NO WAY I'm selling mine! I especially like it, because up here in NorCal, we throw a lot of large stonefly dries and my lighter weight rods can not toss a big dry fly any appreciable distance, but this thing sure can. And it casts less than 10' very nicely also.
NorcalBob

Postby Papasequoia » August 11th, 2020, 11:40 am

Winston BIIt (Boron), 8 foot 3 weight. Nicest rod I ever cast in that category, but you would have to find a used one for that price range. Shortly after I bought mine I was fishing with Richard Cullip who cast it for a while. The next day he went out and bought one! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » August 12th, 2020, 8:28 am

Papasequoia wrote:Winston BIIt (Boron), 8 foot 3 weight. Nicest rod I ever cast in that category, but you would have to find a used one for that price range. Shortly after I bought mine I was fishing with Richard Cullip who cast it for a while. The next day he went out and bought one! :D

So, looking around - not seeing any used available. Will keep an eye. That said, I feel 8' is too short for what I want this rod for (Alpine lakes, larger water than my 7'10" TXL00).

I started noticing some 10' 3wts, say the orvis recon 10' 3wt and the like. part of me suspects the nymph-focus of these rods will prevent me from loving them when used for casting dries on an alpine lake? but the length is appealing for reach + line control advantages on water like the Owens.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby cool breeze » August 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

I've been fishing the TXL 3710 for many years. Good for creeks, but lacked a little when fishing back country lakes while backpacking. Picked up an SLT 390-4 earlier this summer for $300. Love it, same feel as my goto SLT 590-4 which is a dream.
cool breeze

Postby rayfound » August 12th, 2020, 10:22 am

Is there an active fly fishing market besides ebay? Few rods and high prices on the bay these days.

rayfound

Postby Ants » August 12th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I am not sure if you are looking for a complete rod or a blank to build.

I bought a 3 wt blank(MRM - XRX 9003 - 4 pic) from F E Chase of Bigfoot MT a few years ago. Two rods were built, one with single foot guides and one with snake guides. The rods have been my go to favorite for years. There is a Winston 3-wt gathering dust.

I broke a tip and realized how much I liked them. I got the replacement sections and bought another blank to keep one for future oopses.

I haven't contacted Fred Chase in a while, but can try if you have an interest.

Ants
Ants

Postby rayfound » August 12th, 2020, 2:33 pm

I'm looking primarily for a full rod. I have built one rod and found that enjoyable enough but all my stuff to do it is scattered in the wind and I don't want to start another hobby.

rayfound

Postby Papasequoia » August 12th, 2020, 8:19 pm

rayfound wrote:
So, looking around - not seeing any used available. Will keep an eye. That said, I feel 8' is too short for what I want this rod for (Alpine lakes, larger water than my 7'10" TXL00).

My go to rod for alpine lakes, GTW and other locals, is a 9' Sage Z-Axis 4 weight. Not quite what you are looking for, but I find it to be a nice blend of short accurate casts when you want them, or powering out a longer cast into some wind. It's been out for at least 10 years now, so you should be able to find a used one.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tomsakai » August 13th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Check out the Washington Fly Fishing board. Has an excellent classifieds section. Also there is a very active group on Facebook.
tomsakai

Postby rayfound » August 13th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
rayfound wrote:

My go to rod for alpine lakes, GTW and other locals, is a 9' Sage Z-Axis 4 weight. Not quite what you are looking for, but I find it to be a nice blend of short accurate casts when you want them, or powering out a longer cast into some wind. It's been out for at least 10 years now, so you should be able to find a used one.

I mean, that sounds great. Ideally 3wt for sake of reusing line and such but if 4wt needs to be the ticket, I am okay. Will keep an eye on that too. Thanks for the review Jon.

rayfound

Postby rayfound » August 13th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I was fishing with Richard Cullip who cast it for a while. The next day he went out and bought one! :D

That's basically how I ended up getting the TXL 00790-3: fished with Justin's and then went on hunt for my own.

rayfound

Return to Gear Review