REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

First post in the new section - multiple items

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

First post in the new section - multiple items

Postby Papasequoia » July 30th, 2012, 12:54 am

Starting last summer I made it a plan to hit all of the REI 20 and 30% off sales and upgrade some backpacking gear that has either worn out or I just need something new. I've been a cheap * and have been letting some stuff slide for years, so it was finally time to spend some money.

First up, the Editor's Choice award winner from Backpacker magazine, the Nemo Astro Insulated Pad, combined with the Pillowtop sleeping pad sleeve. The combination on sale and with the discount was $139, but worth every single penny. I thought long and hard about this one because I was worried about leaks in the backcountry. However, it got great reviews on multiple sites, so I went for it. I used the "pillowtop" sleeve at Horseshoe Meadows for an extra inch of foam padding in a microfleece cover for comfy car camping. Wow. I left that behind and brought just the Astro Pad for the backpacking portion. It packs down to just a bit larger than a Nalgene bottle (4.5x8 inches) and weighs less than a regular Thermarest (1lb 8 oz). Not the lightest option on the market, but wow, I had the best sleep ever in the backcountry and that's 45 years of backpacking. Awesome! It comes with a patch kit just in case, and I'm a side sleeper and could finally do that in comfort.

Next up, a packable down jacket. Time to retire the bulky, space-consuming fleece jacket and get a thin, down jacket just for backpacking. I watched the sales, checked the jackets being discontinued, read the reviews to see why (maybe) and try to get one on the cheap. Well, they are never cheap, especially the ones with good reviews even if they are discontinuing them, but I picked up a Sierra Designs Gnar Jacket at the REI Outlet store for $95. A bit pricey for a discontinued item, but it had great reviews and I loved it. The thumb holes in the sleeve were handy when hiding from mosquitoes and it was quite warm. Even with a light breeze I didn't need a shell. Definitely a worthwhile item - especially if I am going to be using a smaller pack...

The third item was to finally replace my aging load monster pack, an old 7 & 1/2 lb. Gregory. I was very tempted to go with an ultralight, but when we do family backpacking trips, I need something bigger and with more bells and whistles. So, I went with a pack in the light (but not ultralight) category: the Osprey Aether. There were three sizes, the two largest being a 70 liter and an 85 liter. With the requirement to carry a bear canister at times, and the need for size for family trips or longer outings I was leaning towards the larger one already, but weight would be the deciding factor. I was surprised to see that the difference between the two was only 5 ounces, which to me was worth it for the size upgrade, so I went with the 85 liter. At 5 lbs 1 oz it was two and a half pounds lighter than my old pack. The bear canister was an easy fit (as easy as they can be anyway). Once I got it fit to my body and adjusted (the load lifter straps had twisted under and I couldn't find them at first) it rode like a dream. With the weight savings in the sleeping pad, clothes and bear canister I was skipping down the trail compared to previous years. Regularly $299 I got it for $239 with a 20% off sale. Hopefully it will last as long as my last pack. Great detachable top that I used for dayhiking with my fishing gear, it has its own strap and buckle. Very nice pack.

The Bearikade Weekender. $225 bucks for a bear canister? At 31 ounces it is the lightest one on the market. Fortunately I had a friend who was not using his so I was able to borrow it. If I ever have this much money to frivolously blow on a bear canister I would get one in a heartbeat. I like the more narrow profile and the weight savings are pretty good. But is saving 10 ounces (over my Bear Vault 500) really worth the money? Not yet. Ask me in a few years. :D

So, that was what I did this year to save some weight. I put some serious thought into ultralight gear, at my age it is almost a requirement in order to keep backpacking. On the other hand, as you get older you want your creature comforts. For example, I'm not going to start sleeping under a tarp in my 50's just to save a couple of pounds. But, there are some places to trim which is what I tried to do on this trip. I also got tired of cleaning coffee grounds every morning, so I left the french press, the coffee, the creamer and the sugar at home and brought a five hour energy bottle for each morning. Did I save weight? I don't know, but I saved some space and some kitchen chore work in the morning, so it was worth it. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? As long as I have some caffeine I'm ok (Mark, if you ever show that morning video of me pre-caffeine I will have to strangle you in your sleep). :lol:

My overall pack weight for three nights on the GTW trip came in at 34 lbs. which I consider to be pretty good compared to what I used to carry. My next purchase will be the titanium version of the JetBoil. I wrote the company and they told me that the titanium cup will fit onto my old base, but that the base is just a bit too large to fit into the new cup. So, I will have to consider whether to buy a new setup entirely, or just the cup and pack the stuff separately. I hope these reviews helped some of you who want to trim a few pounds from the overall load! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: First post in the new section - multiple items

Postby WanderingBlues » July 30th, 2012, 7:54 am

Very good reviews and insights.When you get into the weight savings game, it's a slippery slope. I've had cycling buddies pay $200 to save 30g.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » July 30th, 2012, 8:17 am

Mr. Specialized !! Titanium everything is the way to go !! Some day I'm going to pull out all my gear, lay it out, and tally the amount of money that I've spent over the years accumulating all of it - just for giggles.

I wonder if anyone still waterproof-bags their food items and stows them underwater with rocks (as weight) so the scent can't be picked up?
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Eric1 » July 30th, 2012, 8:54 am

Jon great review buddy. I was looking a the nemo but just could not justify the cost so ended up getting the rei stratus large during the last 25% sale. What a great item. It was so nice to be able to sleep on my side on my trip down to the forks last weekend.
Eric
p/s next item to buy is a three season down quilt sleeping bag
Eric1

Postby beachbum » July 30th, 2012, 11:27 am

Good stuff, Jon! My new favorite outdoor gear addition is a breathable waterproof down sleeping bag by Marmot. I used it in Idaho for 5 weeks, and it was exceptional.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby briansII » July 30th, 2012, 11:49 am

Thanks for the excellent reviews.

I bought a Big Agnes aircore mattress when they first came out. Never liked it much, because it felt "wobbly" and seemed like I was always on the verge of rolling off. The grid pattern on the Nemo looks much more stable.

I own a Osprey Aether. I spent a lot of time trying on packs before choosing it. Sadly, it sits in the closet, unused. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » July 30th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Eric and Bill, last year I finally sent back an REI bag that I had bought a few years ago. I almost never send gear back, especially stuff that I have used for a few years. However, this bag was the worst bag I had used since the Army. It was rated to 20 degrees but I froze my butt of in the 40s, and I normally can sleep well in cold conditions. It was poorly designed, twisted up easily, etc. etc. Before buying a new bag, I looked up reviews for this one (a few years after I got it) and they were terrible, everyone was saying the same thing I was - especially that the temp rating was way off. So, I sent it back to REI for the full refund.

To make up for that, I bought my new bag through them. I have always loved Marmot bags and usually have at least one in the closet. I wanted something warm (finally) and something that was not too tight. The Hydrogen (30 degree) and Helium(20 degree) fit the bill best, with a 62 inch shoulder girth and 850 fill down. After years of freezing, I went with the 20 degree Helium which was a mistake because it ending up being too warm for me since I usually sleep cold (or would it be sleep warm?) Nevertheless, it's an awesome bag, really really comfy and incredibly warm at high altitude and during the shoulder seasons.

In fact, if there is anyone out there who needs a new bag, I'll sell it to you for $120 less than it cost me. I've only used it a couple of times. Since I already have a 0 degree bag I'd like to sell this one and buy the 30 degree Hydrogen which will suit my metabolism better. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 87TT » August 7th, 2012, 8:08 am

I have the Helium and love it. It is warm and light. Someone should jump on it.
87TT

Postby Eric1 » August 7th, 2012, 10:09 am

Jon have you looked into getting a three season down quilt bag?
Eric
Eric1

Postby Gary C. » August 7th, 2012, 11:54 am

Jon, I don't know how I missed this post before but I,m glad to hear that your new worked out so well. I don't plan on going without coffee anytime soon but I have swithed over to the pre-measured tubes of instant coffee.
Gary C.

Postby johnnhoj » August 7th, 2012, 10:56 pm

One thing I bought a few years ago to save some weight was an Ursack,(http://www.ursack.com/) bear bag. It takes the place of a bear canister. It holds a bunch of food, weighs just over 7 ounces and generally just kicks but over those big, bulky canisters. I have used mine a number of times and really like it. It's not accepted everywhere though. Yosemite is one of those places. I took it anyway and luckily no ranger saw.

Another thing I do for my back country coffee is the Folgers singles. They look and work just like a tea bag. Poor your hot water in and a few minutes later fresh coffee.
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Return to Gear Review