REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage One 390 w/Sage 4230 reel

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Sage One 390 w/Sage 4230 reel

Postby WanderingBlues » July 30th, 2012, 8:58 am

When I first cast the Sage One One 590 on a trip in Colorado in 2011, I was pretty sure I'd find a way to see one make it into my quiver. Flash forward a few months (with the sale of a mountain bike to help) and I went with the 3wt version paired to the Sage 4230 reel.

Sage ruffled a few feathers when they coined the rod "The One." I mean, how much attitude is that? More than one guide I spoke with told me that they automatically hated the line up before they ever got stream time with it because of the name. Then, they would pause and talk about the rod after they tried it..... Universal love.

So, onto the review....

After several months in a variety of conditions, the "One" comes close to fulfilling that name. At the 3wt level, it wont be pulling on huge stripers or steelies, but that's not what I do. I was hoping for a general purpose Sierra's rod, and for that, it fits the bill.

First impressions- it's light! Coming in at a svelte 2 3/8 ounces, it feels like a whisper in the hand. Paired with the 4230 reel, at a 3 3/4 ounces, and it balances evenly. The swing weight is more than I'm used to as a result of it being a 9' rod, but it's still a not an issue after hours of casting.

Visually, it's a subdued black fast action blank with Fuji ceramic stripping and chrome snake guides. The ferrules are low profile to the point of where you almost have to be looking for them to find them. The cork is a custom Sage design with walnut insert and bronze anodized aluminum seat.

Performance- Using Sage's "Konnetic" technology, they have managed to squeeze out any excess resin and align the carbon fibers in sequence, blah blah, blah..... In layman's terms, there is pretty much no torsional flex to be found. If you try intentionally try to flog your cast, the fly is still going to go where you pointed it. And, it doesn't feel like a telephone pole to accomplish it. It's still very sensitive- enough to feel a local trout take a fly.

In posted 4 & 5 wt shoot outs, the knock on the rod was it's ability to load at close distance. The 3 wt does not have that issue that I've seen. It will load with as little as 15-20 ft.

As a Sierra's rod, it does real nice. Wind is not as much an issue with a slimmer profile, to a point. But, when the big gusts kick up, it does what any 3 wt will do--- whine.

It will toss a fly beyond what my abilities are. However, in that 30-60' range, it noticeably improved my accuracy. I've hit spots I could not have done previously and that has resulted in some nice fish this season.

The rod handles small dries, big streamers, double or triple nymph rigs, and does it well. Mending is easy with the 9' length. Sensitivity is sweet enough to feel takes and hook sets are consistent. I've enjoyed fish from 6" local bows to some nice 23" Kamloops bow's on the rod. It handles it all.

The Reel- I would have stuck with a nice Lamson for this stick, but when I bought it, there was a deal as a combo (free Rio Gold & free shipping). I really like my Sage Click reel, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm pleased I did. Light, durable, and machined to high standards. It uses a carbon drag system that goes from freespool to lockdown in half a rotation on the drag knob. The knob has a clicker in it, so you also get the tactile sense of what you are doing. Overall, with the bronze finish, it's a perfect compliment to the stick and pushes the concept of a "unified" fishing system to new levels. To wrap it up-

The Good- High Quality stick to handle many needs. Very well designed and executed. You will notice the difference.

The Bad- I don't care for the grip. I like reversed half wells. Strictly personal preference. Also, why not add alignment dots along the ferrules....

The Ugly- The MSRP of $720 is a downer. Fortunately, gently used sticks are starting to come onto the market. But, I figured I'll get a lot of use from the rod and when you prorate that out, it becomes a good deal. The One/4230 combo with Rio Gold, no tax, and free shipping, came to a whopping $1007.00. But, as I said, it was an even swap on the sale of a mountain bike, so I have no regrets. I'll leave you with a few pics of the fish the rod has seen this summer.

"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Sage One 390 w/Sage 4230 reel

Postby beachbum » July 30th, 2012, 9:07 am

Nice rod, great fish pics! You have had a good summer it looks like.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 30th, 2012, 10:15 am

Great review, Curtis. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Reyne » July 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Yes, that is a sweet rig you have, Curtis. When you let me cast it in the canyon a couple of months ago, I remember thinking how accurate and long my roll casts were. It's definitely top shelf and the reel complements it beautifully. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby k9mark » March 29th, 2013, 11:10 am

I'm still curious about the fish-ability of such a fast action rod on small streams and rivers in the Sierra. Your probably a better caster than I am though. This is much of the reason my 590 Z-axis is relegated to lakes and large rivers. It's just too fast so I'm in the market looking for a used ZXL
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby DrCreek » March 30th, 2013, 11:51 am

That's almost two Glocks !!!
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Papasequoia » March 30th, 2013, 2:39 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
Performance- Using Sage's "Konnetic" technology, they have managed to squeeze out any excess resin and align the carbon fibers in sequence, blah blah, blah..... In layman's terms, there is pretty much no torsional flex to be found.

I think it's the spent uranium that they are using for fiber sequencing that really makes the difference. ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby k9mark » March 30th, 2013, 5:49 pm

DrCreek wrote:That's almost two Glocks !!!

One can never have enough Glocks...
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby Bernard » March 30th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Hope that you don't mind but I love the crappie shot!
Bernard

Postby Jimbo Roberts » March 31st, 2013, 8:48 am

This review is spot on. I like the ONE series of rods, very accurate, excellent dampening of vibrations, excellent distance rod, but again the real downfall of this series is casts that are under 20'. It's not a real common cast distance most places, it will make the cast, but it feels kind of dull, and lacks feedback/feel to me at that distance. It might have something to do with being so light weight and lack of rod flex at short distances. The rod will also handle a variety of casting strokes, even a slower casting stroke which surprised me.
I will be adding more to my lineup.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Devinpreston » April 6th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Im really close to pulling the trigger on the 5 wt 10 ft model, I cast the 6 wt and liked it but it sure is a lot of money. Does anyone have experience with the 5 wt? I thought the 6 wt was pretty stiff compared to my z-axis.
Devinpreston

Postby duckdog » April 6th, 2013, 11:32 pm

I tried a 9 ft. 5 wt last year along side a 9 ft. 5wt. helios. I got the Helios but it was pretty much a tie and wound up getting a 4 wt. Sage one latter in the year. I just couldn't get it out of my head. I went to Marriot's today and tried a 6 wt Sage One along with the 9ft H2 6wt. both the fresh water model and the salt water model which is a little beefier. LOVED all three but if I had to pick one for throwing streamers it would be the salt 6wt==maybe. It doesn't matter I got's no money. I absolutely love fishing the One and the Helios. Do they catch me more fish ? I can cast a little further and with more accuracy so I would say yes. But even if that were not the case I just really enjoy casting those rods. Worth the money ? To me ==Yes. But they are at the absolute top end of my budget.I have not tried the 10 footers. And I have been using a double taper line on both of those rods,I had not used a DT for at least 25 years.
duckdog

Postby Devinpreston » April 7th, 2013, 8:50 am

Thanks for the info, I am going to mostly use it as my nymph rod ( what I fish 90 perc. Of the time) for ewalker, Owens stuff like that I can't wait!
Devinpreston

Return to Gear Review