REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

First Impressions TFO BVK 7wt.

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

First Impressions TFO BVK 7wt.

Postby briansII » July 30th, 2012, 4:28 pm

I recently picked this rod up, to replace my battle worn, largemouth bass rod. Read a lot of positive reviews, and a few negative too. First impression is, it's a nice looking rod. Doesn't have any of the "bling", that some of the other TFO rods have. Nice greenish color blank, subtle accent on the grip, Ti colored hardware, and a carbon fiber seat. Relatively plain, is how I like them. This is the lightest series of rods TFO sells. While it feels light in hand, it does not stand out that this thing is only 3.1 oz, or roughly the same weight as some 3 - 4 weight rods. It's light, but so what. :) I got to lawn cast it, with a "distance taper"/steelhead line. Rod is stiff in comparison to say a Sage SLT, or Winston B2X, but not nearly as stiff as a TFO TiCr, or Sage TCR. Rod loaded well with that line, and never felt overloaded when I tried making longer casts. That's about all I can say for now. It will be loaded up with a sinktip line, and be my primary LMB rod. Hope it last as long as it's two predecessors(TFO & Winston), which last a few seasons of very hard use. Cracked ferrules, and loose hardware is what retired them.

briansII
briansII

Re: First Impressions TFO BVK 7wt.

Postby RichardCullip » July 30th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Glad to hear the the BVK series is working for you. TFO is a great company, especially in the area of warranty repairs. Unfortunately, TFO retired my favorite model, the Jim Teeny series. It's great for tossing the sinking lines I like to use in the bay and in the surf. I also think it is the prettiest of any of the TFO rod series. Not sure which rod I will get if I ever have to replace my beloved TFO Jim Teeny 6wt.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby 1mocast » July 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Brian,
Thanks for the 1st impression. I have also been looking at the same rod in a 6wt with the fighting butt. As a comparison I also have a 6wt. TiCR with the fighting butt and just wanted to find someone who fished the BVK.

When you get out on the waters, please give us an update. I would appreciate it.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby fly addict » July 30th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I had the chance to cast both the 5 and 6 wt. I like the 5 wt and for $75 it is a bargin!

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby WanderingBlues » July 30th, 2012, 6:21 pm

TFO sent out a BVK last year for testing and I spent about a month with it. They sent the 3wt model with the additional section to make it a 10' rig. Loved it, especially for the price. I rated it about 70% of a Sage performance at 1/3 the cost. The extra section was not so impressive. A fighting butt on a 3wt? No....
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Waterborne » July 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm

I used to own the 7wt BVK. Foolishly sold it when I decided I didn't want to pursue the salt. Wish I didn't. I recently bought a 6wt BVK as my heavy trout rod. :doh:
Waterborne

Postby Reyne » July 30th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I fished my 7wt BVK in the surf yesterday. I was using a 250gr. intergrated shooting taper and it handles very well. I didn't hook anything, but I was having a great time casting. It's a very light and fast rod, which helps a lot when I'm constantly shooting 60ft+. I also have a 10' 4wt and a 9' 5wt.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby k9mark » March 29th, 2013, 11:14 am

Check this out http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8-weight-shootout. BVK took second place.
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Return to Gear Review