REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage's Saltwater Xi3

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Sage's Saltwater Xi3

Postby briansII » August 7th, 2012, 9:50 am

So it's been two seasons on my Xi3, 909-4. As usual, there was quite a bit of hype to go along with Sage's, new, premier, saltwater series. I decided to go to a fly shop, and do a side by side comparison, before making a decision on what rod to buy. I used a floating line, and a T-14 shooting head setup on all the tested rods. All the rods were VERY close, and it was a matter of splitting hairs. The Xi3 had the least split ends. Instead of buying off the rack, I bought the blank, and had my buddy build the rod to my specs.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3649

I've fished this rod hard for two seasons, and put it up wet. It's never been wiped down, reel never comes off the seat, and only the center ferrule ever gets taken apart. It doesn't look new anymore, but shows no signs of wear. The only negative is, I should have chosen a different hook keeper. The square edges will grab the fly line when I get aggressive, shooting line....which is every cast.

I could make up, or use some of Sage's superlatives to describe how the rod casts, but I can't. I'm just not a good enough caster to be able to say those sort of things. I'll just say, in my hands, it has a little more "feel" and plenty of power. I know I'm getting more distance, and working less, than I did with the previous rods. I am taking a lot less Advil on my striper trips. At the end of a long, tiring day of fishing, I will cast the rod, just to cast it. Nuff said.

I eagerly await Sage's newest, bestest ever, saltwater series. The Xi3s will go on closeout, and i'll seek out another to fill a spot in my lineup.

briansII
briansII

Sage's Saltwater Xi3

Postby silverlaker » August 7th, 2012, 11:40 am

Nice review. Thanks!
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: Sage's Saltwater Xi3

Postby stanbery » August 7th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Brian

I really like the SI3 that Bill let me cast.
Thanks for the review.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to Gear Review