REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Help picking a new fly rod

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: Help picking a new fly rod

Postby Waterborne » August 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Waterborne

Postby fflutterffly » August 18th, 2012, 4:25 pm

One great deal when barrowing from Curtis is .... he gets go to with you!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Sasha » August 19th, 2012, 1:15 pm

DrCreek wrote:Seems like this topic comes up once every few months or so.

If you haven't already guessed, you're about to get a few dozen responses all pointing you in a few dozen different directions. Problem is, you're the one that ultimately needs to be happy over his purchase. I'm not going to steer you toward any flyfishing rod in particular because that's not going to work for you. Since I'm not afraid to say it like it is, I would ask you to consider these avenues before wasting your money...

To make the right choice for you, it seems (to me) that you're going to have to get out there and try as many different rods possible - if you can; rods that fit the specs you've mentioned. How you go about doing that or getting that job done is another story. We all assume you want anywhere from a 4 to 7 piece rod. And you don't want to break your bank in doing it, as you've said. There are plenty of packable rods out there for less than "a bazillion" dollars, but no one knows what your ceiling price is except you. Good rods with good warranties cost good money. Cheap rods with cheap warranties (or none at all) cost very little in comparison. Consider these questions when making your choice...

*Will I be okay with the funds I've * away in the event I break my no-warranty rod?
*What weight will work best for the Sierra situations that I specified here?
*Will I be targeting Sierra trout only?
*Smallish trout or larger brutes or both?
*Running water, lakes, or both?
*Rivers like EW and Owens or small stuff like Bishop Creek, ETC and Dana Fork?
*Will I be using it at my local park pond for some other species not mentioned here?
*Do I want to spend the extra loot for a full warranty rod, or do I want to risk snapping my no-warranty rod and be left holding the shards wishing I had gotten a rod with a warranty?
*Do I have the time to research this or am I going to rush right out and buy the first thing that looks good to me on eBay?

I know it all sounds kinda harsh, but that's the reality of making a sound decision. Good luck - with the reel as well.

Mike,

We all know that this is what you were thinking :bananadance:

Or maybe this ;)

Sasha

Postby WanderingBlues » August 19th, 2012, 2:20 pm

I heard be owns 90% of all the Spl's and Slt's in the western US and keeps them in an underground bunker.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » August 19th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Ya... so? :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » August 20th, 2012, 9:41 am

johnnhoj wrote:As for action of the rod, I have no idea what I need. I know that the wind gets going in the Sierra so I guess that I would need something to push through that.

Generally speaking, a faster action rod will help you punch through wind, but I think technique is the bigger factor in that. Also, since you plan to fish creeks with the same rod, I don't think you want a "fast" action rod.....and I'm not sure there is a true, "fast action" 3wt on the market anymore. You have the right idea. Cast rods, and buy what feels good to you. Technique and practice will decide whether you are fishing in a stiff wind, AND having fun.

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to Gear Review