REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Help picking a new fly rod

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Help picking a new fly rod

Postby johnnhoj » August 16th, 2012, 11:09 pm

So, I want to get a new rod and reel. The main mission of this rod will be for back country travels, so it needs to pack down nice and small. My biggest question is what weight would you get? I will mainly be using it for trips into the Sierra, such as my last trip to Cottonwood Lk's. and small So-Cal. stream fishing. I currently own a 5Wt. a Cabelas beginner special. After listening to the chatter on here it sounds like a lighter line would be more than adequate for what I plan to use it for. Please tell me what you think and why. I can't afford a bazillion dollar rod either, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Re: Help picking a new fly rod

Postby gabe » August 16th, 2012, 11:44 pm

hm... that's a tough one...
I would want a 4pc 4WT. between 8-9'.
gabe

Postby fflutterffly » August 17th, 2012, 5:11 am

Tenkara.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Flatsix » August 17th, 2012, 7:46 am

Backcountry packable

My current favorite is a 2wt
Flatsix

Postby WanderingBlues » August 17th, 2012, 8:46 am

I'd say a 3wt just to have enough backbone to toss bigger stuff in alpine lakes. That TFO BVK 8' 3wt was real nice at $229. It's a 4 piece so it breaks down good as well.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » August 17th, 2012, 9:19 am

Seems like this topic comes up once every few months or so.

If you haven't already guessed, you're about to get a few dozen responses all pointing you in a few dozen different directions. Problem is, you're the one that ultimately needs to be happy over his purchase. I'm not going to steer you toward any flyfishing rod in particular because that's not going to work for you. Since I'm not afraid to say it like it is, I would ask you to consider these avenues before wasting your money...

To make the right choice for you, it seems (to me) that you're going to have to get out there and try as many different rods possible - if you can; rods that fit the specs you've mentioned. How you go about doing that or getting that job done is another story. We all assume you want anywhere from a 4 to 7 piece rod. And you don't want to break your bank in doing it, as you've said. There are plenty of packable rods out there for less than "a bazillion" dollars, but no one knows what your ceiling price is except you. Good rods with good warranties cost good money. Cheap rods with cheap warranties (or none at all) cost very little in comparison. Consider these questions when making your choice...

*Will I be okay with the funds I've * away in the event I break my no-warranty rod?
*What weight will work best for the Sierra situations that I specified here?
*Will I be targeting Sierra trout only?
*Smallish trout or larger brutes or both?
*Running water, lakes, or both?
*Rivers like EW and Owens or small stuff like Bishop Creek, ETC and Dana Fork?
*Will I be using it at my local park pond for some other species not mentioned here?
*Do I want to spend the extra loot for a full warranty rod, or do I want to risk snapping my no-warranty rod and be left holding the shards wishing I had gotten a rod with a warranty?
*Do I have the time to research this or am I going to rush right out and buy the first thing that looks good to me on eBay?

I know it all sounds kinda harsh, but that's the reality of making a sound decision. Good luck - with the reel as well.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Bernard » August 17th, 2012, 9:55 am

Your current rod may not be so bad.
As a lower price range rig, you'd be less distraught should you lose or damage it in the Sierra.
For a more delicate approach, I wouldn't rule out trying a DT v.s. a WF line. I do this often as a way to sort of get "two rods out of one". If you must get a new rod, I'd not go lower than a 4wt but that's just me. The Sierra can be breezy and once in a while, there's a hog to contend with :)
B
Bernard

Postby briansII » August 17th, 2012, 10:12 am

When *I* see "Sierra" and "lake" in the information provided, I think 4wt, for the exact reasons Bernard mentions. Also, *I* would be casting streamers.....not exclusively, but to probe the depths for something that casts a big, dark shadow. Some of those streamer would be weighted streamers. A 4wt would be a minimum, that would be FUN to cast. "Small So-Cal stream fishing" screams 2wt or less to me.

Buy 2 rods. *I* would. ;) ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » August 17th, 2012, 11:55 am

briansII wrote:Buy 2 rods. *I* would. ;) ;)

briansII
I agree with Brian. So. Cal streams vs. Sierras with the wind are 2 different animals.

I would go with a minimum 9ft. 4 wt for the sierras so you can have the length to cast farther on the lakes and fighting the winds. I use a 9ft 6wt with intermediate line for chucking streamers or floating WF line for dries on a windy lake. Your current 5wt might work fine for the sierras.

For the tiny brushy streams, a small 7 1/2 ft. under 3 wt rod will be perfect.

As to costs, TFO has a great warranty with about 1 week turn around time.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Sasha » August 17th, 2012, 12:12 pm

fflutterffly wrote:Tenkara.

He said fly rod :lol: :bananadance: ;) ;) ;)
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » August 17th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Sasha wrote:
fflutterffly wrote:Tenkara.

He said fly rod :lol: :bananadance: ;) ;) ;)

So did she. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby johnnhoj » August 17th, 2012, 8:14 pm

OK, so there's a few ways that I could go here. Like I said before the major reason for getting a new rod is to get something a little more packable. My current 5WT is only a two piece and a little tough to pack.

I really like all of the suggestions. I wish I could get a couple of rods, but that just aint gonna happen this time around. Especially with quail and chukar season coming up and me trying to justify a new side by side as well this year.

I was already sorta leaning towards a 3WT. Kinda seems like a good compromise.

As for action of the rod, I have no idea what I need. I know that the wind gets going in the Sierra so I guess that I would need something to push through that.

Is there a shop here in So-Cal that I can try out a rod or two before I buy?
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Postby gabe » August 18th, 2012, 11:06 am

gabe

Postby rkfiske » August 18th, 2012, 11:18 am

johnnhoj wrote:OK, so there's a few ways that I could go here. Like I said before the major reason for getting a new rod is to get something a little more packable. My current 5WT is only a two piece and a little tough to pack.

I really like all of the suggestions. I wish I could get a couple of rods, but that just aint gonna happen this time around. Especially with quail and chukar season coming up and me trying to justify a new side by side as well this year.

I was already sorta leaning towards a 3WT. Kinda seems like a good compromise.

As for action of the rod, I have no idea what I need. I know that the wind gets going in the Sierra so I guess that I would need something to push through that.

Is there a shop here in So-Cal that I can try out a rod or two before I buy?

If you aren't going to be on exposed high lakes in the Sierra then a 3wt is completely fine. And even then, if you can deal with some slight frustration a 3wt is also still fine. Just time your casts between gusts! :rockon:

Fishermen's Spot in Van Nuys and Bob Marriott's in Fullerton are two socal places to check out. Since you're in Apple Valley, it might be somewhat worthwhile to check out Bass Pro in Rancho, though their selection is minimal and I'm not entirely sure if they'll let you cast or not. They'll definitely help hotspot for you though. :(
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby WanderingBlues » August 18th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Where are you out of? Your always welcome to borrow from me.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to Gear Review