REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My Ultralight Backpacking Equipment List

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: My Ultralight Backpacking Equipment List

Postby Benny » February 16th, 2013, 9:09 pm

So far this what I have for a lighter backpacking system. I could probably go lighter on the backpack by cutting off some of the straps, but I'm just not ready to do that just yet.

The sleeping pad that came with my Big Agnes bag is 2lbs. 3oz or 35oz, way to heavy so I went and got me the a Thermarest Z-Lite which cut the weight by a little more than half to 14oz.

I have a Garcia bear canister that weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz., I'm going be replacing it a Weekender Bearikade that weighs in at 1lb.8oz according to most guys who own one, but the web site has them weighing in at just over 31oz or 1lb. 15oz so I'm a little confused on that one, not sure if that might be the shipping weight or if the newer versions are heavier. No matter, it will still cut a nice amount of weight.

This is what I have thus far,

Backpack Gregory Z55 = 3 lbs. 5oz

Sleeping bag Big Agnes Pomer Hoit SL = 2 lbs. 8oz

Thermarest Z-Lite Sol Sleep Pad = 14 oz

If my math is correct I am at 6lbs.12oz for just my sleeping bag, pad, and backpack.

The tent I currently have is a very old Sierra Design Summer Moon 2 person tent that has actually served me very well and is in really good condition for being so old. I thought the weight on this tent was about 5lbs. I check some stats and it weighs 4 lbs 14 oz, so I was fairly close. By today's standards is pretty heavy. So now I'm looking for a replacement tent, hopefully something with half the weight of the Sierra Design tent, but with the same durability would be nice.
Benny

Previous

Return to Gear Review