REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Patagonia Riverwalker Sticky Rubber wading boots--UPDATE

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Patagonia Riverwalker Sticky Rubber wading boots--UPDATE

Postby midger » October 13th, 2012, 7:39 am

Well I now have over 50 days on these rubber soled boots. They have worked great on places like the lower and upper O and other places that are relatively easy wading rivers. Awful on places like the Klamath, Trinity and other rivers with large rocks that are slick. You'll be doing a lot of fish dances when wearing them in this type of structure. As far as durability, the stitching in the right boot is starting to pull loose and the soles wear pretty fast.

FINAL VERDICT: Just okay. I won't be buying another pair of these and will stick with felt if I'm not wading in a snowy area (felts tend to grow in snow as snow sticks to them and becomes cumbersome).

ORIGINAL POST:
The question often arises concerning the functionality of rubber vs felt. I've got around 15 days on the Patagonia Riverwalkers--enough to make an assessment. They are comfortable to wear when walking the banks and they do do well when walking across dry, shoreside boulders, but then that's not the primary reason for a wading boot. In the water they are not nearly as gripping as my felt soled boots, and definitely not as sure footed as my studded felt soled boots--both of these are Weinbrenners. You really notice the difference if you are in a river with large cobbles or boulder sized rocks with any slime or vegetative growth. I will probably try installing some aftermarket studding on them to see if that increases their functionality.

Studded felt has proven to be best for me in waters that allow felt (everywhere in California does at this time). They are not ideal when boulder hopping though as the tungsten or other studs slip easily on dry granite boulders and you have to be very careful to avoid busting your tail (I haven't tried aluminum studs). I've smacked granite several times so have now think before I leap on the Kern and also on the locals in SoCal.

Bottomline. Use what works for you on the watersheds you fish. I fish more freestones and love hammering pocketwater. I like fishing for steelhead on the Klamath with its slimy cobbles. I used to fish the Pit with its granite boulders (be careful with studded boots there when walking the shorelines). For the majority of my fishing, the studded felt works best. However for wading rivers like the Upper or lower Owens the Patagonias would be fine--much different stream structure without the large boulders and an entirely different stream bed.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Patagonia Riverwalker Sticky Rubber wading boots

Postby silverlaker » October 13th, 2012, 10:37 am

Nice post Midger. I just got the sticky Riverwalkers for my birthday in September. I love how light they are. As you said, they were great for running up and down the Owens. I took my daughter to the Kern last weekend and was really only on the water for a couple hours - but was encouraged by their performance. I don't have a sample size like you do - but so far they seem to perform much better than the Simms Vibram soles I've been using (meaning I haven't busted my butt yet!).
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby WanderingBlues » October 14th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the review. I'm close to retiring my Simms (about 120 days on the water) and want to compare some others before getting another pair.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby anacrime » October 14th, 2012, 9:02 pm

I have these. Like em a lot. I am a more mobile fly fisher and prefer these soles over felt for boulder hopping and wading.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Patagonia Riverwalker Sticky Rubber wading boots--UPDATE

Postby midger » December 11th, 2013, 8:16 am

Well I now have over 50 days on these rubber soled boots. They have worked great on places like the lower and upper O and other places that are relatively easy wading rivers. Awful on places like the Klamath, Trinity and other rivers with large rocks that are slick. You'll be doing a lot of fish dances when wearing them in this type of structure. As far as durability, the stitching in the right boot is starting to pull loose and the soles wear pretty fast.

FINAL VERDICT: Just okay. I won't be buying another pair of these and will stick with felt if I'm not wading in a snowy area (felts tend to grow in snow as snow sticks to them and becomes cumbersome).
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fly addict » December 11th, 2013, 9:38 am

Rubber sole wading boots have a long way to go before they will provide traction like felt when wet for an old and not so graceful guy. Maybe if I was Shane’s age and had the agility and balance of a 20 year old, and could jump from rock to rock I might use rubber soled wading boots, But I can’t do that sort of thing with good hiking boots on anymore so I need boots that I have confidence in when I’m wading, and felt gives me that.
I bought new Korker boots with the rubber sole only, just for the local streams. They worked great for the hike in, and on dry rocks and boulders, but once I got in the water I never felt comfortable with them and always felt like I was about to slip and fall. The Lower Owens is ok as long as you stay away from the area right below the dam, I slipped there on a mossy rock and my knee has not been the same. It would be suicide to use them on the Kern. I’ll stick with the felt boots and wade with confidence.
Simms was the manufacture that was leading the push for rubber sole only boots for a time. I see they now have brought back felt boots, and I think it will be a long time before they try to shove slippery rubber boots down our throats. Now if the Idiots in government will just leave the choice up to us everything will be fine.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » December 11th, 2013, 11:00 am

Thanks for the review. Definitely has useful info for those on the fence about rubber soles.

I will have to replace my old Simms, with the old Aquastealth soles. Not because the soles are worn, but the boot uppers are on their last legs. I have never used the rubber soles without studs. In places where I fish, it would be a guaranteed swim, if not worse. With studs, I feel they grip a little better on slick rock, than plain felt. They are not as grippy as studded felt. I much prefer walking/hiking in rubber soles. Haven't decided what to replace the worn boots with, but leaning toward rubber and studs again. BTW, I used Simms, carbide tipped studs, NOT the expensive star cleats. I'm still on the original pair of studs.

They look worse now, than in the pic from last year. One of the most comfortable pair I've owned.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » December 11th, 2013, 11:32 am

As I've always said the choice between felt and rubber soles depends on where you prefer to fall! :booty:
If you want to fall on dry land and not in water, pick felt. If you want to fall in water and not on dry land pick rubber. :funnyup:
NorcalBob

Postby midger » December 11th, 2013, 12:06 pm

NorcalBob wrote:As I've always said the choice between felt and rubber soles depends on where you prefer to fall! :booty:
If you want to fall on dry land and not in water, pick felt. If you want to fall in water and not on dry land pick rubber. :funnyup:

Good point Bob. I prefer falling on dry land if I have to fall.

I do know that studded boots and dry, slick granite like on the Upper Kern do not mix well. It took my rear a long time to feel normal again. :cry:
midger

Postby NorcalBob » December 11th, 2013, 1:11 pm

<<<I prefer falling on dry land if I have to fall>>>
Me too, Mike! Although I must admit I don't really understand why I prefer to fall on something hard (like land) rather than something soft (like water)! :doh:
I have multiple pairs of wading boots covering every material known to man, in both studded and unstudded versions, and I make my choice of what to wear specific to the water I'm fishing that day. And I just counted my wading boot collection and identified 23 pairs of various wading boots! :twisted: :roll:
NorcalBob

Postby Wildman » December 11th, 2013, 4:37 pm

"And I just counted my wading boot collection and identified 23 pairs of various wading boots!"

Oh My! :)
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby briansII » December 11th, 2013, 5:07 pm

NorcalBob wrote:<<<I prefer falling on dry land if I have to fall>>>
Me too, Mike! Although I must admit I don't really understand why I prefer to fall on something hard (like land) rather than something soft (like water)! :doh:
I have multiple pairs of wading boots covering every material known to man, in both studded and unstudded versions, and I make my choice of what to wear specific to the water I'm fishing that day. And I just counted my wading boot collection and identified 23 pairs of various wading boots! :twisted: :roll:

That's not normal behavior.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » December 11th, 2013, 5:13 pm

I think Bob must be a member of Boots Anonymous.

Here I thought I was bad but I only have about 10 pairs, but two of those need to be sent to the dump.
midger

Postby NorcalBob » December 11th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Even I was surprised when I counted them all up! :doh:
I thought I only had around 10 pairs! :roll:
Won't be needing to buy boots for a long time!!! :bananadance:
But in my defense, the 23 includes flats sneakers, wading booties, wading sandals, etc! :P
NorcalBob

Postby midger » December 11th, 2013, 7:24 pm

NorcalBob wrote: But in my defense, the 23 includes flats sneakers, wading booties, wading sandals, etc! :P
Ah, that explains the numbers. ;) ;)
midger

Next

Return to Gear Review