REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Water repellent down

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Water repellent down

Postby Papasequoia » October 17th, 2012, 11:01 am

Here's something new - water repellent down. I haven't used a synthetic bag in many years, but the use of this down in jackets and vests is something that could really take off.

http://www.backpacker.com/fall-winter-gear-guide-2012-the-science-behind-water-repellent-down/gear/16903
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Water repellent down

Postby Gary C. » October 17th, 2012, 11:50 am

If they keep the price down like they are talking it will be great. I worry about being miles from anywhere and falling in a creek or getting caught in a downpore and have my down coat and bag get wet in cold weather.
Gary C.

Postby midger » October 17th, 2012, 1:52 pm

That's some neat product if indeed it performs as advertised. I'd certainly pay an extra $30 for the "insurance" of not having a soaked jacket/bag on trips where it was wet (or I fell in the river). Wetness is the one down side of down. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby planettrout » October 17th, 2012, 3:44 pm

The product notes say "water resistant"...that means it won't absorb MUCH moisture in a light rain...fall in the creek or river, stand in a torrential downpour - it's gonna' soak up water real fast...I'd still go with the stinky, old heavy weight wool I have worn for decades - a few twists and most of the moisture is gone... and wet, it will still keep me warm...

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Return to Gear Review